• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Topping Off

Barrel Char Wood Products

remclave

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 21, 2005
Halloooo the Forum!

What if I didn't make enough to save off?

When making a batch of must, one should make enough to have some left over (stored in a sterile container) in the event of a blowoff? I've searched the archives and I haven't been able to find a conclusive answer.

Can I match my recipe in a smaller quantity and match the OG to use for topping off?

remclave

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 21, 2005
Um, .....

Do I match the original recipe or do I take a current sg and make the recipe to that?

Pretty please, day two saw a near disaster when I moved the carboy. I kept my hand over the top (the lip had plastic covering it at the time) and let the foam and pressure bleed down gradually but it was nearly a total disaster. I only lost about two to three ounces from the batch.

I had another near disaster after adding 1 tsp each of yeast energizer & nutrient.(YE&N). Next time I put those in BEFORE pitching the yeast.

I am afraid this batch is doing it's darnedest to humble me and I may need to top it off before the week is out.

As for my ingredients, it's the same basic recipe I've used since I started making mead in January. I only just started adding other things like the YE&N.

Mynx

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 8, 2005
Normally when I've had to top off, I use a mix of the same honey and some water. Didnt really measure the SG, just made sure it was nice n sweet.

Lagerman64

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 17, 2003
NY
I've never really given it much thought until now. You are right, I guess I'll make enough to pressure can the extra an duse it as needed to make up for losses and maintain head space. Thanks ;D

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns