PDA

View Full Version : Rose Petal Liqueur

Miriam
06-22-2005, 02:52 PM
Has anyone ever done this? A friend of ours says his father makes a delicious liqueur out of fresh rose petals from his garden; basically a syrup flavored with the petals, then some alcohol on top. Sounds like standard procedure, but the old gentleman won't part with his secret recipe, so I'm just guessing. Doesn't it sound divine? Wish I could get enough fresh, unsprayed roses to try it myself.

Miriam

Val
06-22-2005, 03:10 PM
Ooh, that DOES sound nice. If you find a good recipe, be sure to post it!

briankettering
06-22-2005, 03:45 PM
I have made rose liqueur a number of time using the roses from my garden.

I will post the recipe for both rose cordial and rose syrup in the "ikker is Quicker" forum this evening.

Brian K

Val
06-22-2005, 04:25 PM
Excellent! You rock, man 8)

JamesP
06-22-2005, 06:22 PM
I've made rose-water syrup (my name), which was boiling equal water-sugar for 5 minutes, then soaking the petals for a minute or two. No reason not to use honey rather than sugar, I was just being cheap :-\

It's great for clarifying mead - there must be plenty of tannin or something in the rose petals.

If you soak the petals for too long, it gets harsher flavours. It would also depend on your rose petals, so YMMV.

Fortuna_Wolf
06-22-2005, 08:48 PM
I made a rhodomel last year.
1 gallon loose rose petals
1 gallon honey
Top off to 5 gallons water...
I let that sit a month in the fermenter.

I didn't notice any harsh flavors from the rose petals... But one of my favourite jams is rose petal jam anyway. I will say though, that the rose petals apparently do not have much in the way of tannins. The mead bulk aged for 6 months before I bottled in and it was still cloudy (although it tasted fine) at bottling.