PDA

View Full Version : Dear Mom & Dad.....

remclave
06-24-2005, 05:17 PM
Dear Mom and Dad,

I just wanted to write home to you and let you know that I am alive and well. I know by now you must have heard about the explosions that happened here. Luckily, nobody was hurt! When I first heard the explosions, I thought somebody was throwing bricks through the windows. Who would have thought that stuff could blow up and put gouges in the walls; and there are chunks of wood missing from the bed frame and dresser. Needless to say, I won't be bringing home the special gift I was making for you.....it exploded. At least I wasn't in there when it happened.

Love,
me.

PS: I could have sworn I had the caps loose enough to vent!
PPS: How do you get 6 lbs of honey out of the carpet? & the smell of fermenting oranges is sickening!

I got lucky this time. If it had happened in the middle of the night, my husband and I might not have had a chance to make it. I had the bottles in what I thought was the coolest place in the house but that was not the case. It is VERY important to get a proper airlock system when brewing. Just loosening the cap on a container may not be enough pressure relief.

Oskaar
06-24-2005, 05:38 PM
Sorry to hear that. Lesson learned. Maybe a good blowoff tube would be the way to go.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Brewbear
06-24-2005, 07:14 PM
Sorry to hear about your accident. That would fall in the Big Bang theory....No airlock, no blowoff tube, just "loose caps" = BIG BANG :-\ :'( :'(
Home Depot rents the carpet cleaners, they are pretty good.
Good luck with the clean-up.

Ted

storm1969
06-25-2005, 10:35 AM
I got one: Don't brew when very tired.

I was mixing up a lb of buckwheat honey with very hot water. I had it in a plastic container with a screw on lid. I shook hard and guess what? It exploded all over me and my kitchen. (the burns are healing nicely). What's really stupid is that I knew better!

Moral of the story: If you are to tired to think, you should not be handling hot liquid!

Brian

PS: it took 3 hours of clean up to unsticky the kitchen