• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Dear Mom & Dad.....

Barrel Char Wood Products

remclave

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 21, 2005
Dear Mom and Dad,

I just wanted to write home to you and let you know that I am alive and well. I know by now you must have heard about the explosions that happened here. Luckily, nobody was hurt! When I first heard the explosions, I thought somebody was throwing bricks through the windows. Who would have thought that stuff could blow up and put gouges in the walls; and there are chunks of wood missing from the bed frame and dresser. Needless to say, I won't be bringing home the special gift I was making for you.....it exploded. At least I wasn't in there when it happened.

Love,
me.

PS: I could have sworn I had the caps loose enough to vent!
PPS: How do you get 6 lbs of honey out of the carpet? & the smell of fermenting oranges is sickening!

I got lucky this time. If it had happened in the middle of the night, my husband and I might not have had a chance to make it. I had the bottles in what I thought was the coolest place in the house but that was not the case. It is VERY important to get a proper airlock system when brewing. Just loosening the cap on a container may not be enough pressure relief.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Sorry to hear that. Lesson learned. Maybe a good blowoff tube would be the way to go.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Sorry to hear about your accident. That would fall in the Big Bang theory....No airlock, no blowoff tube, just "loose caps" = BIG BANG :-\ :'( :'(
Home Depot rents the carpet cleaners, they are pretty good.
Good luck with the clean-up.

Ted

storm1969

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 13, 2005
Columbia, MD
I got one: Don't brew when very tired.

I was mixing up a lb of buckwheat honey with very hot water. I had it in a plastic container with a screw on lid. I shook hard and guess what? It exploded all over me and my kitchen. (the burns are healing nicely). What's really stupid is that I knew better!

Moral of the story: If you are to tired to think, you should not be handling hot liquid!

Brian

PS: it took 3 hours of clean up to unsticky the kitchen

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns