PDA

View Full Version : 3 more meads cleared

Langtoly
06-27-2005, 04:00 PM
Ok, I am beginning to think that the Gods like my basement as far as clearing of my meads go. I put all my batches down there in the fermenting corner of the basement. and now I have 2 more meads completely clear to the point i can read newsprint through, granted I still can taste a bit of yeast in the aftertaste but this is nuts. I have never had my meads clear this fast.

Just so you know my basement was designed by my great great uncle, a winemaker, so the fementing corner is a place where no sun gets and it stays at approx 76-79 degrees and around 45% humidity. but i now have 15 Gallons of mead that are clear and need aging, and am wondering, where do i get wine bottles cheaply???

Thanks
Tim

briankettering
06-27-2005, 06:11 PM
My wine bottles come from a few different sources:

- I save every bottle of wine that I empty.
- My friends and neighbors give me their empty wine bottles
- And I have made friends with my local recycler who lets me go through the bins of bottles.

Brian K

Langtoly
06-27-2005, 07:52 PM
btw just a timeline on each of these meads, they were started in april/may of this year

WRATHWILDE
06-28-2005, 01:48 AM
Langtoly,

A lot of people prefer bulk aging, a bunch of wine bottles take up more space than 1 carboy. The only downsides to bulk aging are that you can't use them to start new batches, or sample a bottle until it's transfered. I'm going to try and age all of mine for 1 year in a carboy before bottling... except for my 1st mead, half was bottled in wine bottles the other 1/2 in gallon jugs to be bottled after they age some more.

It will take about 5 (750ml) wine bottles per gallon (25 for a 5 gallon batch), new that's going to run you about the same as a new carboy, I know which I'd rather have. ;D

Wrathwilde

Brewbear
06-28-2005, 02:04 AM
Are you willing to rent space in your basement??

Ted

byathread
06-28-2005, 08:59 AM
I know a guy, a fellow brew club member, that makes a 5 gallon batch every month and bulk ages for 2 years in the carboy, then bottles and drinks immediately. I haven't seen his setup yet, but i'm guessing he has a whole room for storage. Needless to say, his meads are excellent.

Fortuna_Wolf
06-28-2005, 11:59 AM
bya: is the guy ever sober? I'm trying to figure out how to drink 2 dozen 750ml bottles of mead in a month. I go through more mead cooking with it than drinking it. (ok, so my sage mead kinda turned out to be only good for cooking).

Langtoly
06-28-2005, 09:17 PM
about renting space in my basement.

Sorry but no.

I plan to have 100 gallons breaing by the end of summer. and I just got in 15 gallons of honey so i suppose i should start soon. too bad 5 gallons of my honey had to get thrown out by ups as they broke the bucket.

Guess I'll have to wait another 7 days to get 5 more gallons of clover.

but in the mean time i can start brewing the meads i want.

I still however am amazed at the fact that my meads are clearing in months and not years.

Commander Toasty
06-30-2005, 07:52 PM
I agree with Brian, only slightly modified.
I save every bottle of wine that I empty, and
I save every bottle of wine thatI empty, and
I save every bottle of wine that I empty!

Seems to work for me, but it's hell on my liver.

Oskaar
06-30-2005, 07:57 PM
I'm lucky to be involved in three (now four) non-profits, two of which have bars on premise and go through a lot of wine. I get those bottles.

Also, I live very close to the best wine shop I've ever seen and they hold tastings three times a week (wonder where my money goes?) and I get bottles from them when I want them as well.

Scraping labels is a lifestyle!

Cheers,

Oskaar

Brewbear
07-01-2005, 01:21 AM
Hey Fortuna,
We'll help you! You have a problem, we're here to help. 24 bottles of mead in one month..Hmmm!!! I'm sure we can help, name the time and the place, I'll bring baklava ;D

Ted

irishoneme
07-04-2005, 02:40 PM
Bottles? Drink wine...lots of wine. Before you plan to bottle, just throw them in the tub with hot water and a healthy pour of vinegar.. lables peel right off.