• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

3 more meads cleared

Barrel Char Wood Products

Langtoly

NewBee
Registered Member
May 9, 2005
Ok, I am beginning to think that the Gods like my basement as far as clearing of my meads go. I put all my batches down there in the fermenting corner of the basement. and now I have 2 more meads completely clear to the point i can read newsprint through, granted I still can taste a bit of yeast in the aftertaste but this is nuts. I have never had my meads clear this fast.

Just so you know my basement was designed by my great great uncle, a winemaker, so the fementing corner is a place where no sun gets and it stays at approx 76-79 degrees and around 45% humidity. but i now have 15 Gallons of mead that are clear and need aging, and am wondering, where do i get wine bottles cheaply???

Thanks
Tim

briankettering

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 2, 2005
My wine bottles come from a few different sources:

- I save every bottle of wine that I empty.
- My friends and neighbors give me their empty wine bottles
- And I have made friends with my local recycler who lets me go through the bins of bottles.

Brian K

Langtoly

NewBee
Registered Member
May 9, 2005
btw just a timeline on each of these meads, they were started in april/may of this year

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Langtoly,

A lot of people prefer bulk aging, a bunch of wine bottles take up more space than 1 carboy. The only downsides to bulk aging are that you can't use them to start new batches, or sample a bottle until it's transfered. I'm going to try and age all of mine for 1 year in a carboy before bottling... except for my 1st mead, half was bottled in wine bottles the other 1/2 in gallon jugs to be bottled after they age some more.

It will take about 5 (750ml) wine bottles per gallon (25 for a 5 gallon batch), new that's going to run you about the same as a new carboy, I know which I'd rather have. ;D

Wrathwilde

byathread

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 8, 2005
Boulder County, CO
I know a guy, a fellow brew club member, that makes a 5 gallon batch every month and bulk ages for 2 years in the carboy, then bottles and drinks immediately. I haven't seen his setup yet, but i'm guessing he has a whole room for storage. Needless to say, his meads are excellent.

Fortuna_Wolf

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 24, 2004
bya: is the guy ever sober? I'm trying to figure out how to drink 2 dozen 750ml bottles of mead in a month. I go through more mead cooking with it than drinking it. (ok, so my sage mead kinda turned out to be only good for cooking).

Langtoly

NewBee
Registered Member
May 9, 2005
about renting space in my basement.

Sorry but no.

I plan to have 100 gallons breaing by the end of summer. and I just got in 15 gallons of honey so i suppose i should start soon. too bad 5 gallons of my honey had to get thrown out by ups as they broke the bucket.

Guess I'll have to wait another 7 days to get 5 more gallons of clover.

but in the mean time i can start brewing the meads i want.

I still however am amazed at the fact that my meads are clearing in months and not years.

Commander Toasty

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 9, 2005
I agree with Brian, only slightly modified.
I save every bottle of wine that I empty, and
I save every bottle of wine thatI empty, and
I save every bottle of wine that I empty!

Seems to work for me, but it's hell on my liver.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I'm lucky to be involved in three (now four) non-profits, two of which have bars on premise and go through a lot of wine. I get those bottles.

Also, I live very close to the best wine shop I've ever seen and they hold tastings three times a week (wonder where my money goes?) and I get bottles from them when I want them as well.

Scraping labels is a lifestyle!

Cheers,

Oskaar

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Hey Fortuna,
We'll help you! You have a problem, we're here to help. 24 bottles of mead in one month..Hmmm!!! I'm sure we can help, name the time and the place, I'll bring baklava ;D

Ted

I

irishoneme

Bottles? Drink wine...lots of wine. Before you plan to bottle, just throw them in the tub with hot water and a healthy pour of vinegar.. lables peel right off.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns