PDA

View Full Version : Poor seal

edacsac
06-30-2005, 08:16 PM
Hi all,

I had recently racked to 1 gallon glass carboys, and used these fancy screw on caps with a hole for the airlock. On one of them, I must have pushed way two hard on the airlock trying to seat it well, and split the cap. Its a small split, but enough to keep the airlock from functioning. I'm going to do some racking and gravity checking tommorrow, but do you think I'm hosed? I bet its been like that since I racked two weeks ago. I didn't notice until today because today I have some foam, like it kicked up again since its been warmer.

Brewbear
07-01-2005, 01:17 AM
Depending on how far it is to your nearest LHBS, try melting some wax on the cap, it will create a temporary seal, just put it inside and outside the cap.

Ted

edacsac
07-01-2005, 10:55 AM
I'm going to buy an ew cap and some stoppers today, I was just wondering if that lack of seal has caused a problem. Since its still kicking up, I'm thinking that there is enough CO2 to protect the small exposed area in the neck of the 1 gallon carboy, but I thought I would ask.

Oskaar
07-01-2005, 12:02 PM
In the early part of the primary you should be fine, but you mentioned racking so I'm guessing you're in secondary at least so you should change out that lid as soon as reasonable. A new cap should remedy the situation.

irishoneme
07-04-2005, 02:34 PM
Those weren't those nice little carboys in the picture section were they?

edacsac
07-04-2005, 02:48 PM
Those weren't those nice little carboys in the picture section were they?

Yep!

irishoneme
07-04-2005, 03:07 PM
oh no! And I had such high hopes for those screw caps.

Norskersword
07-13-2005, 01:12 PM
Your probably fine but their is an easy way to test to see if it's ok...Taste it! :D If it doesn't taste infected or oxidized (like sherry wine) than you are fine.

edacsac
07-18-2005, 08:18 PM
oh no! And I had such high hopes for those screw caps.

To add to the fact, all 3 of the orginal ones cracked, I replaced one and was much more gental with it, and it still cracked after a period of time. I switched to rubber stoppers.

Don't bother with the caps.