• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Coffee / Coffee Mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
Has anyone tried Coffee blossom honey?

Would coffee / coffee mead (coffee blossom honey & brewed coffee in place of water) be to much coffee for one mead?

Lastly, what class of mead would this fall under?

Anthony

Tsuchi

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 28, 2004
www.earthworks-design.com
hmmm
cafemel? cuz it sounds neat
Legumel because coffee is a bean 0r
methaglin as ive often thought of coffee as a spice... tough call

i think legumel seems best to me but is it really a classification or has it just been used around the boards here?

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
Googled Legumel, Gotmead and MLD are the onlysources for it.

Though called coffee "bean's" they are in fact seeds. Coffee plants produce fruit called cherries, seeds of this fruit are roasted, ground and brewed to make coffee. I believe this makes it an herb.

Anthony

p.s. I do like the sound of Cafemel.

Tsuchi

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 28, 2004
www.earthworks-design.com
Aren't most beans seeds? I know the peas and soybeans are. though I suppose that since the coffee beans are like the stone in cherry (i had forgotten) this could get very confusing...

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
Yes most beans / legumes are seeds, what they are not is the seed of a fruit.

Anthony

Lagerman64

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 17, 2003
NY
I've tried coffee soda and beer in the past without much luck (not very tastey), but at a recent brew event I had an opportunity to talk with commercial brewers and the secret is, dramatic pause, add fresh brewed coffee to the secondary. I have plenty of ideas........ ;D

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Well,
Who's taking the plunge? I LOOOOVE coffee!!!!! Sadly, I don't have enough background to attemp it, so I hope some of the more experienced mazers will take a stab at it.And share the process, if not the end result :-\

Ted

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
Hey Ted,

I'm going to take a shot at it, have to wait until I have a free carboy, that and the Thai iced mead.

I had only made one mead before starting the peanut butter mead, only way to get experience is to jump in feet first (and read everything you can find on the subject).

The Avocado / Breakfast Tea mead, is bitter, not sure if its the tea or the honey?
I'll make a gallon of straight Avocado mead and see what that taste like.

The Buckwheat / Black Current mead, is starting to taste more like red wine then mead.

The Sage / Peanut Butter mead is wonderful, though it taste better warm then chilled.

They all have a ways to go before finishing so time will tell what the out come is.

I have found, by placing the sample used for S.G. in the fridge over night, it settles and can be tasted without the solids, this gives a better idea of where the mead is at.

Anthony

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
Anthony,

I venture to say that the bitterness in the Avocado/Breakfast Tea metheglin comes from the tea. That is, if you tasted no bitterness in the avocado honey.

Miriam

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Duuude!!! YOU ARE BAAAADD!!!!
I only made the Ancient Orange-messed up the first batch and made a second one a couple days later, clearing nicely!
Have a 5 gal batch pyment about 1 month in secondary and started a batch of raspberry mel on Saturday.
Where did you fing the coffee blossom honey? I may venture a 1gal batch of clover and coffee as soon as I get an empty jug. Keep us posted.

Ted

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
Miriam,

I was thinking the same thing, which has me wondering if a spiced red tea mead would be bitter as well. I'll have to see how it ages. A mistake I made with that mead I'll not make again, was putting loose tea into the must. That may be why it's bitter as well, tea spent to much time soaking in the mead.

Ted,

I cook a lot, nothing out of cans. The way I see it, not much differance between making a pot of must or a pot of thom kha goong. Just like cooking, when you don't follow a recipe, not everything works out.

I found coffe honey online. Search "Coffe Blossom" and "Coffee Flower Honey". It comes from Java, Kona and Mexico.

Anthony

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
Here's the plot...

1 lb. Coffee bean & Tea leaf, french roast coffee (corse ground)
12 lb. Coffee Blossom honey (mexico)
1 1/2 gal. water (or there abouts) to make 3 gallons of must
Lalvin 71B-1122 yeast

Use Toddy® cold brew system to make 2 quarts coffee concentrate (enough for 2 gal. coffee).

Blend coffee, water and honey to make 3 gal. must in a 5 gal. primary bucket. Rehydrate yeast and pitch in must, cover with cheese cloth.

Anthony

If a must P.A. is 20%, and the yeast die off between 12% - 14%. How much fermentable sugar (balling %) would be left in the mead, how sweet would it be and is there a tool for making these calculations?

wolfe

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 26, 2005
I made a gallon of coffee wine a number of years ago. The recipe I used called for the freeze dried stuff. As I rememeber it did not turn out well. But that may have been from using store brand coffee crystals.

The idea of using bean sounds much better.

Instead of brewing a concentrate up front... If you boil you water to disolve your honey, you could add the slightly ground beans to a nylon strain bag with the boiling water.

Good luck! I will like to here how it turns out.

Dave

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
11o is about 1.043 SG VERY sweet.

Here's a link to a good conversion table.

http://members.tripod.com/~BRotter/CalcInfo/HydSugAl.htm

Also just use the mead calculator provided to us by the lovely and talented JamesP and you can punch in the numbers.

NOTA BENE: Hey JamesP I'm using the calcualtor more and more and I'm liking it more and more! Duuuuuuuude, Great Job!!

Cheers,

Oskaar

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
Thanks Oskaar, thats much sweeter then I'd care for. have to work it out agian with 3 lb honey per gal. of must.

Anthony

Looks like 10 lb. honey should leave about 5 - 6 brix.

c0bra

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 6, 2005
For the adventurous you can buy green coffee beans at http://www.sweetmarias.com and roast it at home with a popcorn popper (info on the site).

It is incredibly good, I'm drinking some of my own Yirgacheffe right now, in fact. I will probably end up making some kind of coffee beer in the future. Not sure about mead though, I'm still gathering information for my first batch :)

c0bra

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 6, 2005
Green coffee beans smell like grass. I can't imagine the taste being very good and haven't ventured to try one myself, though I might tonight in the name of science.

I would definitely use fresh roasted and ground beans if I were to put them in a beverage. It takes near boiling temperatures to get a proper oil extraction and works best with fine grind sizes. That's most likely the best way to get the flavor (and caffeine if you're looking for it). So I wouldn't think whole roasted beans just stuck in a cool must would do much.

It seems like coffee flavor and aroma decays somewhat over time. Someone else may be able to answer how fermenting mead will work on coffee compounds chemically over time. I would find that interesting.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns