PDA

View Full Version : Dumbledore and Mead

Dan McFeeley
07-16-2005, 06:55 AM
Saw an online excerpt from the new Harry Potter book (haven't picked mine up yet) where Dumbledore offered the Dursley's mead aged in oak.

Nice to see he has excellent taste. ;D

WRATHWILDE
07-17-2005, 09:23 AM
Have read the Half blood prince in its entirety... there are at least three mentions of mead. Good book, left it open for another installment... but that's all I'm giving away.

Wrathwilde

GntlKnght
07-17-2005, 09:28 AM
from page 48 of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince:

A third twitch of the wand, and a dusty bottle and five glasses appeared in mid-air. The bottle tipped and poured a generous measure of honey coloured liquid into each of the glasses, which then floated to each person in the room.
“Madam Rosmerta’s finest oak-matured mead,” said Dumbledore, raising his glass to Harry, who had caught ahold of his own and sipped. He never tasted anything like it before, but enjoyed it immensely.

Val
07-17-2005, 05:47 PM
Several of the other books mention Hagrid getting "mulled mead" from the Three-Broomsticks tavern.

Sounds pretty good to me.

Dan McFeeley
07-18-2005, 03:18 AM
There seem to be more references to mead in Half Blood Prince than in the previous books.

Interesting, mulled mead and some of the other beverages that were being quaffed sound like old recipes. J.K. Rowling is well know for doing serious background research into the details of her stories -- the latest on oak aged mead makes me wonder if she's been browsing some of the Internet lists. Oak is used a great deal in Breton meadmaking, according to Chuck Wettergreen and Wout Klingens. Maybe she read some of their posts?

Rathpig
07-18-2005, 10:24 PM
There seem to be more references to mead in Half Blood Prince than in the previous books.

As Harry approaches his majority he will be allowed a bit more of the adult beverages.

Norskersword
07-26-2005, 06:26 PM
So that's why the pope disapproved of this installment. Under age drinking! ;D