• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Dumbledore and Mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Saw an online excerpt from the new Harry Potter book (haven't picked mine up yet) where Dumbledore offered the Dursley's mead aged in oak.

Nice to see he has excellent taste. ;D

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Have read the Half blood prince in its entirety... there are at least three mentions of mead. Good book, left it open for another installment... but that's all I'm giving away.

Wrathwilde

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
from page 48 of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince:

A third twitch of the wand, and a dusty bottle and five glasses appeared in mid-air. The bottle tipped and poured a generous measure of honey coloured liquid into each of the glasses, which then floated to each person in the room.
“Madam Rosmerta’s finest oak-matured mead,” said Dumbledore, raising his glass to Harry, who had caught ahold of his own and sipped. He never tasted anything like it before, but enjoyed it immensely.

Val

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 8, 2005
Several of the other books mention Hagrid getting "mulled mead" from the Three-Broomsticks tavern.

Sounds pretty good to me.

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
There seem to be more references to mead in Half Blood Prince than in the previous books.

Interesting, mulled mead and some of the other beverages that were being quaffed sound like old recipes. J.K. Rowling is well know for doing serious background research into the details of her stories -- the latest on oak aged mead makes me wonder if she's been browsing some of the Internet lists. Oak is used a great deal in Breton meadmaking, according to Chuck Wettergreen and Wout Klingens. Maybe she read some of their posts?

Rathpig

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 9, 2005
Dan McFeeley said:
There seem to be more references to mead in Half Blood Prince than in the previous books.

As Harry approaches his majority he will be allowed a bit more of the adult beverages.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns