PDA

View Full Version : Secondary Bubbling

Shamrock
07-26-2005, 04:01 PM
Hello again ! :)
I've racked my very first batch of mead (5gallons water, 1/2 lb raspberries, 15 lbs unpasterurized honey and juice of fresh squeezed lemon -- Lalving ec-118) from primary to glass carboy about a week ago. Primary fermented for about 18 days. Bubbling was every 3-5 seconds during primary.
Anyhow, the secondary fermentation is showing slow activity in the airlock-- about 18 seconds/bubble when I first checked up on it yesterday. I agitated the carboy by picking it up and swirling the must for a while. There was some sedimentation on the bottom. When I checked the mead today, it's bubbling about every 10-12 seconds.
As I'm new at this, is this normal for airlock activity? I sampled the mead when I racked it and it was definitely alcoholic!
Thank you.

David Baldwin
07-26-2005, 04:17 PM
Check your specific gravity. EC-1118 is a very fast fermenter, and could be finished fermenting.

David

lostnbronx
07-26-2005, 04:26 PM
I agree with David, above. Just the timing on this, and the yeast you used, make it seem likely that you're pretty much done with primary fermentation. Time to rack, I predict. Keep in mind that this is going to be dry. Also, 1/2 pound isn't much to get a raspberry flavor -- were you using them primarily for the nutrient content? You can add more fruit in the secondary fermenter to get more flavor out them (assuming that's what you want, of course).

-David