• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Secondary Bubbling

Barrel Char Wood Products

Shamrock

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 2, 2005
Hello again ! :)
I've racked my very first batch of mead (5gallons water, 1/2 lb raspberries, 15 lbs unpasterurized honey and juice of fresh squeezed lemon -- Lalving ec-118) from primary to glass carboy about a week ago. Primary fermented for about 18 days. Bubbling was every 3-5 seconds during primary.
Anyhow, the secondary fermentation is showing slow activity in the airlock-- about 18 seconds/bubble when I first checked up on it yesterday. I agitated the carboy by picking it up and swirling the must for a while. There was some sedimentation on the bottom. When I checked the mead today, it's bubbling about every 10-12 seconds.
As I'm new at this, is this normal for airlock activity? I sampled the mead when I racked it and it was definitely alcoholic!
Thank you.

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
I agree with David, above. Just the timing on this, and the yeast you used, make it seem likely that you're pretty much done with primary fermentation. Time to rack, I predict. Keep in mind that this is going to be dry. Also, 1/2 pound isn't much to get a raspberry flavor -- were you using them primarily for the nutrient content? You can add more fruit in the secondary fermenter to get more flavor out them (assuming that's what you want, of course).

-David

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns