PDA

View Full Version : How much fizz???

Commander Toasty
07-27-2005, 11:45 AM
OK I confess - I am not a fan of barley wine, never have been. Just not to my liking. But my neighbor is and he recetnly asked me to make him a batch if he bought the ingrediants. So things are brewing nicely!

Here's the thing - I'm going to force carbonate and I don't know what the typical carbonation level is for barley wine. My recollection is that it has less fizz than beer. But I could be wrong!

So my question is what pressure should I use to carbonate, and for how long?

Many thanks to all!

lostnbronx
07-27-2005, 08:30 PM
CT,

I've never made one, but I am a fan of barley wines. The ones I've had didn't seem to be less carbonated than beer, but maybe that's a, shall we say, clouded memory issue. ;)

-David

Dmntd
07-27-2005, 08:53 PM
Hey CT,

Here take a look at this http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/brew/widgets/bp.html

Anthony

Oskaar
07-27-2005, 10:28 PM
I liked the Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine last time I tried it, and I noticed that the carbonation was less than their other beers. Good flavor and packed a nice punch too.

Cheers,

Oskaar

byathread
07-28-2005, 08:27 AM
Had the opportunity to try a '99 and '00 Bigfoot last month. Very nice! Develops a distinct, slightly oxidized character in aging as well as becoming super smooth and rounded. Anchor Old Foghorn is also great.

And, in my experience, barleywines are less carbonated that your average beer. The link Dmntd provided is a good one.

Peace,
Kirk