• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

SoCal honey sources & newbie pointers?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Meriadoc

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jul 6, 2005
Folks,

Recently, while talking with an acquaintance, the subject of hobbies came up. I mentioned that I'm making mead (and thinking of brewing beer) these days, and her ears perked up. (She's a Ren Fair vet from way back, apparently, and she mourned the lack of easy availability of mead.)

She asked me for my mead recipe (!), and here's what I was thinking of getting her:

• A reference to Schramm's book (I think I'm gonna wear mine out before it hits a stable bookcase existence...)
  • Joe's Ancient Orange recipe
  • the "first mead" recipe from Schramm
  • a strong, strong recommendation to buy the best quality honey she can find
  • a recommendation not to buy from the grocery store (it seems to me that your mead will get expensive in a hurry, if you're buying honey in 1-lb jars (at about $3-5); buying a 1-gallon to bring the unit cost down to around the $2/lb price point, or to enable buying much better honey at $3 and above, seems to make much more sense...)
  • a pointer to this site

(edited to add:) Oh yeah... she's in LA; can yall provide any pointers to good sources for honey, out that way?

Any other suggestions you can think of?

Merry

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Miller's Honey Co. definitely, Call them often....I happened there last week or so and bought clove honey in 1.5 lb at $1.50.
Depending on where your friend lives ( which area of LA) B3 in Riverside or Steinfillers in Long Beach, even tho Steinfillers is geared more toward beer brewing, you can still find plenty of yeasts and such, besides, the "hardware" is all the same.

Ted

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Hey Thread,

Steer her to gotmead.com, she can PM us SoCal folks and get herself all set up. We like having girls to brew with!

Cheers,

Oskaar

Meriadoc

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jul 6, 2005
Oskaar said:
Hey Thread,

Steer her to gotmead.com, she can PM us SoCal folks and get herself all set up. We like having girls to brew with!

...the only question is, what'll her husband think of ya'll? ;) :D

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
He'll think we're trying to steal his wife, hell, wouldn't you? LOL But the bottom line is my group of friends that brew are all happily wed as well. I'm the only batchelor in the bunch, so the wifeys only let the hubbys out to play with the single guy every once in a while, lest they get independent minded and spark another impromptu road trip to Vegey with me. I have LOTS of excellent blackmail material from the last one ;)

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns