View Full Version : Show us your Stems

Oskaar
07-29-2005, 10:30 PM
Yup, post photos of your stemware here.

Cheers,

Oskaar

edacsac
07-30-2005, 01:02 AM
My cheap $.83 wine glass, filled with cheap zinfandel I've been using to top my airlocks because I'm out of vodka. This is the best it gets for my stemware. The only reason I posted this is because taking pictures of glass can be challenging, and it gives me a chance to use my home-made light tent, and fancy-shmancy new lens. :-) I guess I need more practice, or better lighting, or something...

http://www.coinmonger.com/underadollar.jpg

Oskaar
07-30-2005, 02:10 AM
Nice shot Ed,

Did you make the light box, or purchase it. I'm still trying to come up with a good soft box I have some things to photograph for a site I'm doing. I'll shoot my stems sometime tomorrow, but they won't have anything in them! LOL Hmmm, maybe I'll put my 04 Zinfandel in them. LOL

Cheers,

Oskaar

Dan McFeeley
07-30-2005, 01:35 PM
Here's a few of mine:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/mcfeeley/stem.jpg[img]

Oskaar
07-30-2005, 08:29 PM
I decided to pull down one stem from each of the sets that I have so I could fit them into a photo. Here's (http://216.130.169.39/photos/Stems.jpg)a link:

One of my decanters is in the middle, and the crystal mug is for cold cold mead when I want it to stay cold for a bit.

Cheers,

Oskaar

lostnbronx
07-30-2005, 11:12 PM
Oskaar,

Now that's an impressive collection! Can you tell us what they're all called, what their traditional uses are, and how you use them? Some of those I've never even seen before!

-David

Oskaar
07-31-2005, 03:26 AM
OK, here are the stem descriptions and what I use them for apart from the traditionally accepted usage. Bear in mind that I also drink mead from all of these stems and the mug, it depends on what I'm getting from the mead, and how it presents in the stem.

Back Row Center: Burgundy Grand Cru
Traditional Varietals and Wines: Barbaresco, Barolo, Burgundy (Red), Clos de Vougeot, Echezeaux, Musigny, Nebbiolo, Nuits Saint Georges, Pinot Noir, Pommard, Romanee Saint Vivant, Santenay, Volnay, Vosne-Romanee.
My additional uses: Big Dry Oaked Dark Melomels, Big Dry Oaked Cysers, Big Dry Oaked Meads, Big Dry Oaked Pyments, Port style Zinfandel, Dingac, Plavac Mali

1 Left of Back Row Center: Bordeaux Grand Cru
Traditional Varietals and Wines: Bordeaux (Red), Brunello Di Montalcino, Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Fronsac, Graves Rouge, Margaux, Medoc, Merlot, Pauillac, Pomerol, St. Emillion, St. Estephe, St. Julien, Sangiovese, Super Tuscan.
My additional uses: Demi-sec Meads, Demi-Sec Cysers, Demi-Sec Melomels, Demi-Sec Pyment.

2 Left of Back Row Center: Chianti Classico
Traditional Varietals and Wines: Beaujolais, Carignan, Chianti, Cotes du Roussillon, Dolcetto, Montepulciano, Primitivo, Red Zinfandel, Sangiovese, Teroldego.
My additional uses: Chardonnay, Posip, Vugava, Grasevina, Sweet Mead, Cyser, Pyment and Dry to Sweet Metheglins

3 Left of Back Row Center: Port
Traditional Varietals and Wines: Colheitas, LBV, Madeira, Tawny Port, Vin Santo, Vintage Port.
Spirits: Single Malt Scotch Whiskey, Irish Whiskey, Grappa, Prosek, Rakija, Travarica, Rogacak, Mandarina, Desert Meads

4 Left of Back Row Center: Loire/Savignon Blanc
Traditional Varietals and Wines: Bordeaux (white), Chenin Blanc, Fume Blanc, Gewurztraminer, Pouilly-Fume, Sancerre, Sauvignon Blanc, Semillon.
My additional Uses: Sweet meads, citrus meads, pronounced varietal honey meads (lavender, mint, etc.)

Front Row Center: Red Wine Decanter
Traditional uses: Red Wine
My additional uses: Name it!

1 Left of Front Row Center: Cognac snifter
Traditional usage: Armagnac, Brandy, Calvados, Cognac
My additional uses: Liqueur blends as digestives, heavy flavor high alcohol sweet meads

2 Left of Front Row Center: Brandy snifter
Traditional uses: Armagnac, Brandy, Calvados, Cognac.
My additional uses: Liqueur blends as digestives, heavy flavor high alcohol sweet meads

3 Left of Front Row Center: Cordial
Traditional uses: Cordials
My additional uses: Rakija, Grappa, Sljivovica, Loza, Frozen Vodka, Frozen Tequila

1 Right of Back Row Center: Burgundy (red)
Traditional varietals and wines:
Barolo, Barbaresco, Burgundy (red), Grand Cru Beaujolais, Nebbiolo, Pinot Noir
My additional uses: Dry Spiced Cyser, Dry cherry melomel, Lavender-Rosemary Metheglin, pyment, hippocras

2 Right of Back Row Center: Burgundy (white)
Burgundy (white), Corton-Charlemagne, Montrachet, New World Chardonnay
My additional uses: Dry blended honey mead, Dry single varietal mead, pyment, hipporcras

3 Right of Back Row Center: Cuvee
Champagne, Luxury Cuvee Champagne, Rose, Vintage Champagne, Vintage Sparkling Wine
My additional uses: Dry sparkling melomel, Dry petulant mead, dry sparkling mead, aged sparkling mead

4 Right of Back Row Center: Champagne
Cava, Champagne, Prosecco, Sparkling Wine
My additional uses: Dry sparkling mead, semi-sweet sparkling mead

1 Right of Front Row Center: Etched Crystal Mug
Mulled hot wine, mulled hot mead, frozen margarita, frozen daquiri, frozen mead slushie!

Back right portion of picture under photo: Cigar humidor; Black Walnut
Contents: Montecristo No. 2, Montecristo Especial No. 2, Montecristo No. 4, Romeo y Julieta Churchills, Hoyo de Monterey Double Coronas, Partagas Lusitanias, Cohiba robustos, Cohiba Esplendidos. (total of about 400 mixed)

Cheers,

Oskaar

storm1969
08-01-2005, 09:28 AM
Now you've done it! I will get out my collection and take photo's.

Do you guys have a Homegoods store near you? They sell overstock and broken box kitchen/ house wares stuff. They occasionally have great deals. Over the weekend I picked up 24 various Spiegelau Authentis stems for 4.99 each (they tend to run 8-11$ mail order). They don't have that good a quality stems often, maybe once a year or so.

Brian

edacsac
08-07-2005, 03:23 PM
Nice shot Ed,

Did you make the light box, or purchase it. I'm still trying to come up with a good soft box I have some things to photograph for a site I'm doing. I'll shoot my stems sometime tomorrow, but they won't have anything in them! LOL Hmmm, maybe I'll put my 04 Zinfandel in them. LOL

Cheers,

Oskaar

Hey Oskaar,

Sorry for taking a week to reply. I made my light tent out of pvc (straight lengths and 90 degree joints), a white sheet, and some poster board. I made just a basic box frame out of the pvc, attach a couple of small screws to the upper rear horizontal span to attach the poster board, and drape a white sheet over the top, sides, and back of the contraption. The height of the box should work with your poster board so when its attached to the box frame, it will drape down and forward to create a seamless background.

Other than that I use regular household lights on stands pointed at the sheet, and the sheet diffuses the light. I only use two 100 watt bulbs, and that really isn't a large amount of light. So I always use a tripod, and set my white balance to the poster board once I'm all setup.

Dmntd
08-07-2005, 03:25 PM
Nice collection Oskaar. And thank's, this thread was the nudge I needed to get the crystal down, amonia dip and polish it.

The "Black Glass" stems, are late 19th century from an old Hollywood estate.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Oskaar
08-07-2005, 04:14 PM
Very cool stems Anthony! I likey!

ED, nice ingenuity on the light tent. Looks like I have to make one at some point!

Cheers,

Oskaar

Ibiduin
08-10-2005, 11:13 PM
you actually drink Burgundy Grand Cru? not cheap ;)

Oskaar
08-11-2005, 12:20 PM
Life's too short to drink cheap wine! LOL

Cheers,

Oskaar

Ibiduin
08-11-2005, 08:33 PM
those the hand blown or machined ones?

Oskaar
08-11-2005, 10:23 PM
Hand blown, some of the smaller ones are machine made.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Oskaar
03-08-2006, 07:11 PM
Looks like my photo was whacked during the latest round of house cleaning so here's a link to my stems:

Photo of my Stems (http://207.5.69.177/omsoftnet/Stems.jpg)

Cheers,

Oskaar

Summersolstice
03-10-2006, 10:56 AM
Nice Oskaar! My tastes run a little more mundane and since I'm in the SCA I prefer the retro vessels (although in reality, I'm like a bull in a china shop and glasses like Oskaar uses wouldn't last two weeks in my house!). Although I'll admit that I frequently use the glass at the right for critiquing my meads and for those times when I just want a sip. Anyone recognize it?

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/239797/photo20.html

NeadMead
03-12-2006, 02:53 AM
SummerSolstice, the horn stem looks interesting. 8) I bet that set you back a few cents. ;D Where did you get that thing? ;)

May the gods grant you great brews,

Gerald

Summersolstice
03-17-2006, 07:21 AM
I bought the horn in a pawn shop so it wasn't that expensive. There was a small tag written in Cyrillic attached to the horn's chain. A Russian friend said it was made in the old Soviet Union by one of the many ethnic groups in the former USSR. It had apparently never been used and I coated the inside with bee's wax for my own use.

yabodie
03-22-2006, 05:16 PM
Oskaar,

I am amazed at your stems and the description you have added to what you would consume from them. I have looked around the forum and have gathered that you have a slight *sarcasm* interest in mead. So what would you pair the different types of mead with, ie food wise, cheeses, redheads, etc?

By the way thanks for all the posts so new folks to mead making, like me, can learn and attempt to improve!!

NeadMead
03-23-2006, 01:12 AM
Summersolstice, please forgive my ignorance, but what is the importance of coating the horn in bee's wax? I am not trying too be sarcastic; I honestly do not know, but I am curios in case I can get ahold of one.

Gerald

Oskaar
03-23-2006, 01:32 AM
Howdy,

My understanding is that the wax helps to maintain a "waterproof/leakproof" container, prevent fouling of the mead by the taste of horn (I've drank out of an uncoated horn and won't ever do so again), and generally preserve the integrity of your mead for more advantageous quaffing.

In my opinion the only drawbacks are:

Wax smell and taste imparted to the mead (I've quaffed from more than one horn coated with different types of what was supposed to be neutral)

The actual smell of the horn itself. I just have a hyper-sensitive schnozola and have learned to trust in it.

Glass stems are neutral in taste, aroma, and touch, they provide the best medium to view the appearance of the mead, they concentrate and accentuate the aroma of the mead more markedly and efficiently, they provide an ideal medium to aerate the mead in order to release the full bouquet and flavor profile of the mead as you drink, and they really allow the mead to put it's best foot forward for evaluation.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! LOL

Cheers,

Oskaar

NeadMead
03-23-2006, 01:51 AM
Thanks a bunch, Oskaar. I was just curious as I am not a connoisseur or afficianado. Yet I am going to give a review on the first two meads I ever drank which was this past weekend. I just hope that it is not condemned as "shoddy at best". My review article. The meads were great.

Gerald

Summersolstice
03-23-2006, 08:46 AM
Just as Oskaar says, the beeswax is simply a coating to prevent contamination from the raw horn. The wax does indeed impart off flavors, and to me, especially smells, to the mead. I never drink mead from this horn at any setting other than SCA camping events, and only then as a cultural statement as part of my Norse personna. When I'm at home I have one favorite glass I use - a sort of short-stemmed Bordeaux/Cabernet glass with a local winery logo on it.

storm1969
03-27-2006, 12:14 AM
Here are the glasses I most use:

Red wine glasses:
http://home.comcast.net/~storm/Red.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~storm/Red2.JPG

White wine glasses:
http://home.comcast.net/~storm/White.JPG

Champagne Wine glass and flutes:
http://home.comcast.net/~storm/champ.JPG

We love our wine glasses! They really are the best way to appreciate good mead/wine.

Brian

Steve Works
11-17-2015, 06:00 PM
Life's too short to drink cheap wine! LOL

Cheers,

Oskaar

Indeed it is. Or out of the wrong glass. :)) I have a friend that won't drink wine if it doesn't come in the right glass.