• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

The Case of the Shanghaied Honey

Barrel Char Wood Products

byathread

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 8, 2005
Boulder County, CO
As mentioned in a previous post (<a href="http://www.gotmead.com/smf/index.php/topic,1460.msg11541.html#msg11541">here</a>) I was supposed to acquire a gallon of that rare jewel, Tupelo, yesterday. But alas, I've been hornswoggled.

When I approached the beekeeper (Mike) at the market Saturday morning and asked about the gallon he looked confused. There was a long pause and I assumed he'd forgotten it, but then he goes "that was you?!"

"Yes..." I replied.

Another pause. "Then who was that other guy?!"

Uh-oh. This could be bad. Let me take this opportunity to mention that this particular fellow is very forgetful (by his own admission) and generally a bit...distracted. I've spoken to him at length at least 3 times in person in the last couple of months, as well as via email and phone a few times. I've also made two prior purchases.

So, here's the story. Just an hour before I got there, another dude came by, and at first Mike wasn't sure if he brought it up, but later decided that the mystery customer asked specifically for the gallon of tupelo. He mentioned to the customer that he normally charged more for the tupelo, but would honor what he quoted him (me). The customer insisted that he would pay full price, as the beekeeper had never quoted him that price. But the beekeeper insisted.

Sadly, this was probably the last of his batch of Tupelo for the year. It won't be the end of the world if I'm unable to get any tupelo from him after all. However, its quite a coincidence that another honey lover nabbed the gallon for a few different reasons.

1. The gallon was safely tucked away in the apiarists truck (away from prying eyes).
2. Mike "never" sells in such large quantities from his farmer's market stand (quart jars are the largest he brings).
3. How did this mysterious honey lover know to expect such a score? Who is he and what does he plan on doing with this lovely honey?

My clues are few, but I suspect he is a fellow mazer and may have been stocking up for Nat'l Mead Day next week. Additionally, the beekeeper claims the culprit had a beard! (like me)

The crime was committed 31 hours ago, therefore, the perpetrator could be just about anywhere by now from the Canadian border to deep in the heart of old Mexico. Keep your eyes peeled, but approach with caution, he may be dangerous. If I do ever catch him, I expect to forcably regain my honor (or at least a couple of bottles). Give me liberty or give me....ahh hell, lets drink some mead! :D

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Bogus,

Only one thing to do! Toga Party!

Toga Toga TOGA!

Cheers,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns