PDA

View Full Version : What's floating on top of my mead?

c0bra
08-02-2005, 12:55 PM
The day after I started this 5g batch, these white guys showed up floating on top of the must. Is it an infection I'm looking at or just particles from the honey, etc. that got in there?

http://www.homelesshere.com/gallery/albums/album01/Infection_004.sized.jpg
http://www.homelesshere.com/gallery/albums/album01/Infection_011.sized.jpg

If it's an infection, what's the best recourse? Thanks.

lostnbronx
08-02-2005, 01:03 PM
C0bra,

What kind of yeast was it? It's hard to tell from the pic, but, honestly, it doesn't look much different from the ordinary fermentation foam I see on some of my meads.

-David

c0bra
08-02-2005, 01:16 PM
71B-1122

I wasn't sure either, this is my first batch of mead where I can actually see the top of the liquid :P

lostnbronx
08-02-2005, 01:34 PM
I haven't used 71B myself, but most of the Lallemand lines are designed to be very low foamers -- in which case, any little amount of foam produced might look conspicuous and suspicious if you're not expecting it. I think you're okay.

-David

c0bra
08-02-2005, 01:56 PM
It foamed up pretty good the day after I pitched, but now it's two-three days after and that's what I've got.

If you think it's OK, then I'll just let it sit.

byathread
08-02-2005, 02:23 PM
Doesn't look like anything to worry about to me either. I use 71B frequently and don't tend to get much more surface foam than this, even during heavy fermentation.

Keep an eye on it, but you should be fine.

JoeM
08-02-2005, 03:21 PM
Looks like normal yeast activitly to me, but its a bit hard to tell from the picture.

Dan McFeeley
08-02-2005, 03:22 PM
I'd agree with everyone else, could easily be foam from the fermentation. It's hard to tell from the images.

If it's an infection, it'll likely spread across the surface.

Oskaar
08-02-2005, 03:27 PM
Foam, I wouldn't be worried about it. If it starts to spread and cover the surface, then I'd worry and rack.

Cheers,

Oskaar

hedgehog
08-06-2005, 02:38 PM
I tend to use a lot of 71B. I usually get more foam than that, but it does look like foam. Although for my tests I tend to do the worst thing possible, I swirl the bottle a lot. If its foam, it will break up or get bigger/part of a bigger foam island. If not, you get wet angry mold...
more rambling,
hedgehog

Brewbear
08-06-2005, 09:14 PM
Sure looks like foam to me too!
If you see string-like projections dropping down, you have a fungus going, but from what I could tell in the pics I wouldn't worry yet. It doesn't look like fugal growth.

Best of luck,
Ted

Scarneck
09-23-2005, 12:23 PM
I also have a small island (about 7 inches across) of this white stuff on the top of a batch of honey/maple mead. It has no legs or roots and only sits on top. This batch is 2 months along and ready to rack. Otherwise the must is clear. I don't think that I need to worry?

Also, I am new to all of this and have a 3 gal. batch going in a 5 gal. carboy as long as my airlock stays intact, should this be alright or will the open area provide too much oxygen? If so, how do I take up the space?

Thanks!!!

WRATHWILDE
09-24-2005, 12:00 AM
Personally at this late stage I'd get myself another 3 gallon glass carboy if I were you, or Go to a welding supply company and pick up a bottle of CO2 to purge the carboy and top off the batch with if you transfer into the 5 gallon.

Wrathwilde

Wolfie
09-26-2005, 04:58 PM
:o It appears that you have a UFO infestation!

Say--how do I post pics?

~Wolfie