• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

What's floating on top of my mead?

Barrel Char Wood Products

c0bra

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 6, 2005
The day after I started this 5g batch, these white guys showed up floating on top of the must. Is it an infection I'm looking at or just particles from the honey, etc. that got in there?

Infection_004.sized.jpg

Infection_011.sized.jpg

If it's an infection, what's the best recourse? Thanks.

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
C0bra,

What kind of yeast was it? It's hard to tell from the pic, but, honestly, it doesn't look much different from the ordinary fermentation foam I see on some of my meads.

-David

c0bra

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 6, 2005
71B-1122

I wasn't sure either, this is my first batch of mead where I can actually see the top of the liquid :p

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
I haven't used 71B myself, but most of the Lallemand lines are designed to be very low foamers -- in which case, any little amount of foam produced might look conspicuous and suspicious if you're not expecting it. I think you're okay.

-David

c0bra

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 6, 2005
It foamed up pretty good the day after I pitched, but now it's two-three days after and that's what I've got.

If you think it's OK, then I'll just let it sit.

byathread

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 8, 2005
Boulder County, CO
Doesn't look like anything to worry about to me either. I use 71B frequently and don't tend to get much more surface foam than this, even during heavy fermentation.

Keep an eye on it, but you should be fine.

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
Looks like normal yeast activitly to me, but its a bit hard to tell from the picture.

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
I'd agree with everyone else, could easily be foam from the fermentation. It's hard to tell from the images.

If it's an infection, it'll likely spread across the surface.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Foam, I wouldn't be worried about it. If it starts to spread and cover the surface, then I'd worry and rack.

Cheers,

Oskaar

hedgehog

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 8, 2005
I tend to use a lot of 71B. I usually get more foam than that, but it does look like foam. Although for my tests I tend to do the worst thing possible, I swirl the bottle a lot. If its foam, it will break up or get bigger/part of a bigger foam island. If not, you get wet angry mold...
more rambling,
hedgehog

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Sure looks like foam to me too!
If you see string-like projections dropping down, you have a fungus going, but from what I could tell in the pics I wouldn't worry yet. It doesn't look like fugal growth.

Best of luck,
Ted

Scarneck

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2005
I also have a small island (about 7 inches across) of this white stuff on the top of a batch of honey/maple mead. It has no legs or roots and only sits on top. This batch is 2 months along and ready to rack. Otherwise the must is clear. I don't think that I need to worry?

Also, I am new to all of this and have a 3 gal. batch going in a 5 gal. carboy as long as my airlock stays intact, should this be alright or will the open area provide too much oxygen? If so, how do I take up the space?

Thanks!!!

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Personally at this late stage I'd get myself another 3 gallon glass carboy if I were you, or Go to a welding supply company and pick up a bottle of CO2 to purge the carboy and top off the batch with if you transfer into the 5 gallon.

Wrathwilde

Zem

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 14, 2005
:eek: It appears that you have a UFO infestation!

Say--how do I post pics?

~Wolfie

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns