• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Toolbox's first batch of Ancient Orange

Barrel Char Wood Products

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
DUUUUDE !!
Cool label, did you post it in the labels thread?
I'd like a closer look at it, it looks great from what I see.

Ted

briankettering

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 2, 2005
The mead looks nice and clear! Clean bottle, nice label, and good corking are all plusses.

Do you think there is a little too much airspace between the top of the mead and the bottom of the cork?

Brian K

toolboxdiver

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 3, 2005
toolboxdiver.tripod.com
briankettering said:
The mead looks nice and clear! Clean bottle, nice label, and good corking are all plusses.

Do you think there is a little too much airspace between the top of the mead and the bottom of the cork?

Brian K

I'm not sure about the airspace, could be I'll have to find out a tad bit more info on it...thanks Brian

F

Fedelm Dub

Nice, now I'll start a batch of that stuff since my first mead was just racked and needs to clear.

P

Pawn

Wow that looks tasty, thanks for the preview, I hope my 2 gallons turn out that nicely (pitched 08-12-2005), best to yah...John

toolboxdiver

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 3, 2005
toolboxdiver.tripod.com
Thanks Pawn, I have the other 2 gallons I was aging 1 with oak and 1 without getting ready to bottle this week then I will age the 4 gallons I have whichever way seems to taste better

toolboxdiver

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 3, 2005
toolboxdiver.tripod.com
Thanks Beeboy, I have a 4 1/2 gallon old Beerball I serilize and only use for the ancient orange. as soon as I empty it I wash it out sanitize it and about a week later I start another batch. It keeps me away from the meads I want to bulk age...lol...so I reckon I'll be picking up another 18 pounds of honey this week...:)...to get ready for Batch #3

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
Hey Toolbox,

Great looking bottle of mead.

I have two bottling wands - http://www.northernbrewer.com/pics/fullsize/bottle-fillers.jpg - the Fermtech & Phil's Philler.

Phil's Philler leaks where the smaller tube enters the larger, dripping mead on and around the bottles. It's also designed to drain when removed from the bottle, because of this you must guess at how much headspace to leave in the bottle and stop filling at that point. Being stainless steel makes sanitizing easier and it works a little better in punted bottles.

Fermtech uses a gravity pin to stop the flow of mead, if the tip comes in contact with the bottle prior to being inside the neck, a gush of mead is let loose, it can be difficult getting the flow started in punted bottles and at times can cause foaming. With this tool, you fill the bottle to the top of the neck. Because it does not drain when removed, the volume displaced by the filler becomes the headspace needed for corking, its exactly the same time after time.

Have yet to get and test the new spring tip filler, I have hopes it will be better then the fermtech gravity design.

How do you fill the bottles?

Anthony

Now don't say you can't swear off drinking; it's easy. I've done it a thousand times. ~ W.C. Fields

toolboxdiver

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 3, 2005
toolboxdiver.tripod.com
Well the results are in, and all I can say is WOW....Thank you Joe for a awsome recipe that is done so quickly...well here are my findings, the saga up to now is. I made my first batch of Joe's ancient orange April 18th, 2005 and after the instructed 2 months I sampled it and it was good but not as clear as I like so I put 3 gallons in separate 1 gallon jugs to age. After 1 extra month I bottled the 1st gallon and drank the partial bottle and it was much better and alot clearer, so after reading Oskaars posts about oak for another mead I was working on I decided to experiment with the med toast beans I had left. I added 8 med toast american oak beans to 1 of the remaining 2 gallons and just left the other age for just over 2 more months. Well today I bottled both of them and it seems the one with the oak is smoother and it also seemed to lighten the color just a tad, the hint of a vanilla/caramel flavor from the oak seems to mellow and compliment the cinnamon and clove very nicely, so I will be adding oak to the second batch of ancient orange I made and I will be racking it and aging it in oak for 2 or 3 months. Well if this isn't the norm for this recipe and if I performing some sacralidge to the recipe I do apoligise but after all....thats why we all got into this hobby in the first place to make meads that we enjoy, and I really do enjoy this... ;D

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns