View Full Version : Tannin Addition

08-09-2005, 11:58 AM
I have a peach mel that was pitched on 8/6/05. I have made very few melomels with light fruit so, I am not in the practiced of adding tannin. Giving it some thought however, I immagine the lighter fruit mead could benefit from the addition of tannin. I did not think to add any when adding nutrients. Is there any harm in adding it now? Is it better to wait until post fermentation like with acid?

08-09-2005, 12:36 PM
Tannin additions are better up front. They integrate better into the wine/mead and they help clear. I always add up front (or at least before the end of primary fermentation). I'm not sure how well it would do adding it after ferment.

Dan McFeeley
08-09-2005, 01:12 PM
It's best to add at the start of the fermentation. The tannin will bind with the colloidal material in the honey must and help clear it.

08-09-2005, 02:34 PM
I am 2 days in to primary fermentation. Is there any harm in adding it now?

08-09-2005, 02:46 PM
You'll be fine.

Mix it into some sterile H2O and add it in as you aerate. As Dan mentioned up-front tannin helps to clear the mead, and also adds complexity, softens the end product, and adds to middle palate appeal.

What type of tannin are you adding?

08-09-2005, 03:25 PM
Thank you. Not in the lab right now, but if memory serves me correctly it is grape tannin. It is a brownish, purplish colored powder.