• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Mead Books

Barrel Char Wood Products

sineyopitty

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 6, 2005
I'm wondering if an experienced brewmaster can provide a ringing endorsement for any particular book on mead making. I'm looking for a general reference, but also something that has been updated within the past few years.....no 1985 publication date, please. I saw a few possibilities in the "store."

hedgehog

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 8, 2005
ok.. I REALLY gotta ask.. its been driving me nuts for a while now... From his book, and his few posts on here Ken Schramm seems to be a very intelligent and well spoken person. Most of us can agree on that, no problem. But I have to ask...

WHY does he spell complete as compleat????

Its definately not ye old english style, I checked. It doesn't really rhyme with mead, at least not with out a few glasses of mead. I highly doubt its a typo, after all how many hundreds of thousands of his books are running around in the wild?? So what gives?? any clues??

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
A couple of reasons that I'd guess at.

1. Ken is an avid fisherman and there was a book written by Izaac Walton called The Compleat Angler in 1653 compleat began life as an archaic form of the word "complete", but came to be used for the specific meaning below.

2. Compleat is a real word, meaning highly proficient.

3. The common adjective "complete," has many meanings, only one of which is "proficient"; others include "having all parts", "concluded", "thorough", "absolute", etc.

4. It's not unusual on the web: the last time I checked, over several thousand Web pages were also using the word (though often incorrectly, as a synonym for some other meaning of "complete").

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
According to the Dictionary / Thesaurus built into OS X - "ORIGIN: the spelling compleat is a revival of the 17th cent. use as in Walton's The Compleat Angler."

The Compleat Angler is said to be the third most printed book after the bible and Shakespeare, Interesting if it is because having read upward of 1000 books, I hadn't heard of it till about 6 months ago... but then I don't fish and have no desire to start now.

Wrathwilde

Meriadoc

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jul 6, 2005
Oskaar said:
A couple of reasons that I'd guess at.

4. It's not unusual on the web: the last time I checked, over several thousand Web pages were also using the word (though often incorrectly, as a synonym for some other meaning of "complete").

Their arnt two many mispelings on the 'net; if severel thousand Web sights have "compleat" insted of "complete", i'm shure there trying to imply the meaning of "compleat" ewe describe earlier in ur post... ;) ::)

In geste,

Merry

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns