• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Anyone have a Picture of Flowers of wine and Film Yeast ?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Christoph

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 17, 2005
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the help on my last batch of mead. I backsweetened and its looking and tasting great.

I think I may have a film yeast on the top of my second mead, and cant find any pictures of film yeast or of flowers of wine.

Unfortunately this batch has also got me perplexed.

Here is my recipe

8 lbs Blueberry Honey
4 lbs Clover Honey
2 sticks of Connamon
half a nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon of allspice
1 teaspoon of whole cloves
Wyeast Dry Yeast
Fermaid (Dont remember exactly how much)
Final Volume of Must 5 Gallons Exactly

Batch Started on July 15th 2005

Now the fermentation completed happily and quickly. And the mead tastes pleasant and its S.G is 0.98

Now the mead isnt clear by any respect you can still see small particles floating in it, making it not hazy but cloudy. Its not fermenting as there are no bubbles. Its been racked once already on July 30th. It dropped very little lee's since its racking.

Heres the problem though I can never tell if what forms on the surface of the mead is a residue or wax from the honey, or normal yeast behaviour or if its a film yeast.

A very thing white/gray film apears on the surface. If I stir it, it disappears for a while and then reforms. I Can't figure it out. Ill try to get a picutre to post.

Now my two questions are

Could this be film yeast ? if not how long does it take before meads dont have any surface stuff ?

and

How long should A Mead take to clear ?

Thanks

Chris.

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
Just a couple of things Christoph, first of all, relax!

The "floaties" you have described are most likely particles (yeast, wax or such) that have glombed onto a CO2 bubble or two and come to the surface. I would not worry about them, nor would I stir them. When you get ready to rack the next time, they will most likely stay behind!

When does it clear? is a question that has many variables.
how long the yeastie beasties stay active
if any tannins or pectic enzymes were used
how much fermentable sugars

These are just a few.
You racked after only two weeks, which seems a little soon to me, but should not cause a problem. I would wait another couple of weeks before doing anything with this batch. I would definitely not stir it up any more!
Good luck!
Enjoy

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns