• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Grolsch bottles and sparkling mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

quirky

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 6, 2005
I did a search for this one. I know I saw this addressed on the board - but I could not find it. So -
Can Grolsch style bottles be used for sparkling meads?
After reading a few explosion tales I would hate to get this one wrong.
Thanks!
Suzette

memento

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 3, 2005
www.flickr.com
they are made to contain pressurized beer, so I would imagine sparkling mead would be ok as well. I have not done it myself though.

HomeBrew

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 13, 2005
Most bottle bombs are caused by adding priming sugar/honey/malt to batches that have not completed fermentation. The excess sugar still available in the must combined with the priming dose increases the amount of C02 produced which increases pressure which causes the explosion. As memento said, the Grolsch-type bottles are made to contain pressure so they should be fine...Provided there are no defects in the glass. I bottle both beer and mead in swingtops and have not had any problems...Even though the carbonation levels used in meads is slightly higher (i.e. 0.75-1 cup sugar/ 5 gallons of beer vs. 1-1.25 cups sugar/ 5 gallons of mead).

Peace.

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
Yes grolsch bottles are fine, provided that you do not grossly overcarbonate your mead. Any glass bottle can be broken if carbonation is not done in a controlled manner.

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
As I mentioned in the other thread, Redstone Meadery uses grolsh bottles for all their sparkling meads.

infojunkie

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 21, 2005
I was talking to a big-homebrewer-turned-small-commercial winemaker last week, and he said he went to bottle redemption centers to buy Grolsch bottles in bulk. He offered them 7 cents per. He said the brewing mags charged more like $2 per!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns