• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Champagne grape Pyment

Barrel Char Wood Products

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
I have just over a lb. of these tiny little black grapes, sold as champagne grapes (look like little bubbles), very, very sweet with a delicate flavor.

I was snacking on these tonight while watching a movie and started thinking a lb. of these tiny grapes, a lb of tupelo honey and water to make 1 gallon might make for a wonderful sweet mead pitched with D47.

Has anyone tried this combination?

How did it turn out?

How's it taste?

Anthony

[edit] I used the mead calculator... it only has concord grapes, and I'm not sure the numbers are right. Most grapes will ferment to 12% or 13% ABV without the addiition of any sugars. using the calculator I get a PA of 5%, is this right?

tribus66

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 17, 2014
Not exactly a specific answer to your question, but last year I did a couple of 1 gallon batches with Champagne grapes and strawberries. It was a huge hit. I used trader Joes's mesquite honey and lalvin k1-v1116 yeast. Unfortunately all of my brewing notes from the last couple of years were lost so I can't post the specifics of the recipe. We prefer a drier mead but it came out pretty sweet, but not cloying. The grape and strawberry flavors traded places throughout so neither was ever really overwhelming, it was really interesting and quite enjoyable. Go for it!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns