PDA

View Full Version : A plan for 4 kilogram's of honey

Crimson
08-17-2005, 08:18 AM
So I have these parents, they go on holidays, to France. France has bees, France has beekeepers, so they brought me honey. A total of 4 kilograms, it tastes lovely and it looks good.

I've read a bit about Joe' Ancient Orange recipe. But the measurements are a bit to USA for me. I can't get a gallon jug, I get a 5 litre carboy. Or rather, I have a 10 litre glass botle. So here is what I plan to do with it.

For a 10 litre batch of mead - approx. 2,64 litre

4 kg. of Bretton French honey - approx 8,89 lbs.
2 large oranges
2 handfull of raisins
2 sticks of cinnamon
1 clove

Of course that leaves the quesiton of the yeast, since I don't have any Fleishmann’s bread yeast around here, can just use any kind of bread yeast? And what is a clove? And where do I get it?

Other then that, can I just use Joe's recipe?

Sander
08-17-2005, 08:30 AM
clove = kruidnagel

Mynx
08-17-2005, 12:03 PM
Hey Crimson, if you're having trouble with Imperial to metric conversions, might I reccommend www.google.com ?

I'm in Canada, so I have the same issue...I find typing something like "4 kilograms of honey to pounds" will do the conversion nicely.

Fortuna_Wolf
08-17-2005, 12:21 PM
goggle this: "4/10 kg/liter in lb/gallon" will give 3.38 #/USG. This is about what one should have.
Cloves http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloves
I put a quarter nutmeg into my 4L batch and it turned out well. I haven't tried the batch that had a cm of dried ginger though.

Anyhow, the results should be sweet, so enjoy.

Crimson
08-18-2005, 04:21 AM
I am aiming for sweet yes.

Thank you for the help.