• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

ooops !!!

Barrel Char Wood Products

jfet

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 10, 2005
Um how do I put this . . . I pushed to hard and pushed the stoper for the bubbler into the primary. I had another stoper so I just pluged it again. Should I switch to a different jug? Dont worry about it till first racking? Any off tastes this early in the game from it? I feel like an idiot. Has this ever happend to any of you? By the way its a 3 gallon batch in a 5 gallon carboy. Im afraid of bugs to just do a bucket. So it will be racked down to a 3. Thank you guys.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Hmmm,

Haven't hat that one happen to me yet. Well, I'd recommend taking another stopper and rinsing it in some warm soapy water, but before you stuff it in the mouth of the carboy I'd suggest smelling it, and tasting it to see if it is going to taint your batch. If you don't get any bad flavor or aroma from it you may have the option of waiting till primary is over before you rack off of it.

Personally, I'd rack immediately off the thing and chalk it up to experience.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
I'd agree with Oskaar -- best to rack to another carboy and start again with another stopper.

Then the problem will be getting the first stopper out of its carboy! ;D

jfet

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 10, 2005
I now plan on racking it tonight just to be shure there are no off flavors. Thanks! I think Im going to add a few more lbs sg was only 1.100. Here is another ?nd. The first batch was made in oct of last year so its like 10 months old. I used apple untouched cider for the water (3 gallon) and I only used like 3lbs of honey cinn,apple pie spice, orange and lemon peel. This stuff is totaly brutle. I mean I cringe when I smell it. When I started I wanted to drink all the must the night I warmed it up.Now it is really strong. I mix it like cheep voldka with orange juice. It has mellowed out alot it used to be real warm going down. Will it just take time for it to get better or is it just cheep nasty tasting cyder? fg was 1.000 sg ? but I remember it being very high. I think I est % at like 18 or something.

byathread

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 8, 2005
Boulder County, CO
I've a friend who got his stopper lodged inside the carboy. A quick call to our LHBS solved the question of how to get it out....use a couple of butter knives placed against the inside of the mouth of the carboy, flip it upside down and clamp the knives around the stopper. You should be able to easily squeeze the stopper out.

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Alternatively, they make a product for getting corks out of wine bottles, which might work, though, if Bya's butter knife solution works, there's no need to spend money on something that will only be used once (you hope).

-David

P

Pawn

If you have a paint can opener, I have one of the old ones with a bottle opener on the other end, tip the carboy upside down to get the cork with the narrow end pointing out, stick the paint opener through the hole of the plug and pull it out, any kind of pull hook will work.

I also heard of a way of getting solid corks out (Ive never tried), take a small rag stuff most of it through the opening, tip the carboy and when the plug is lying on the rag and lined up with the hole just pull on the rag and it will grab and pull the plug out (hmm might work in a combination with a butter knife), oh well, my .02, good luck...John

jfet

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 10, 2005
I actually spoke with a local make your own wine store owner. He said he has droped his stopper in like 3 times. He said something like the stoppers he has are 6 or 6 1/2 (something like that) and there easy to push in in the wrong 5gal carboy. His method was to flip the carboy get the stopper small side down and then use neddle nose plyers spread to pull out the stopper.

Ive got some more good news I thawed out my mullberries and started a 3 gallon of mullberry mead. 10lbs of mullberry 3lbs of honey. SG 1.58 JUST LIKE THE BATCH CALCULATOR SAID. That was awesome. Its going crazy like 2 bubbles a second. It has a be-a-u-ti-ful color. :)

intothefray

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 11, 2005
I'd love to make some morat, but my mulberries are robbed from my tree while they're still green by the birds (I don't think I could gather a handful of green ones even).

Glacierwulf

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 19, 2005
when my friend did this same "trick" with a 5gal batch of beer
he took a wire hanger from his closet, unwound it, sanitzed it & proceded to go fishing for the floating stopping
incedently that batch didnt have any noticable differnaces over the others we have made

Glacier

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns