• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

why is it...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wine, beer & mead go bad within a day or 3 of being opened, yet brandy & whiskey do not?

Anthony

Sander

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 30, 2005
Because of the alcohol content?
I think close to nothing can survive in 80 proof.

storm1969

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 13, 2005
Columbia, MD
Partly the alcohol, partly the way it is made. What makes most wine go bad is the oxygenation of the wine, not because of spoilage (usually). And, BTW, there are wines that don't go bad after being opened (Maderia, Sherry, and tawny port - What do these have in common?).

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
I understand oxidisation is what changes wine for the worse, Why doesn't brany (distilled wine) oxidise?

My guess would be; A secondary aerobic fermentation.

Anthony

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Certain fortified wines like Tawny Port, Madeira and sweeter styles of Sherry will last considerably longer than wine once opened. However, they will definately change character, lose acidity and much complexity after a relatively short amout of time. I've tested this on all three by taking tasting notes when opened, and then again in about three weeks after being opened.

They were still quite passable, but they had definately changed character and lost a noticable amount of the up front "snap" (acidity). I paired the port up with a good Montecristo No. 2 and enjoyed it very much. Over time, they will lose their edge, complexity and get pretty flabby if left for extended periods of time.

Whiskey, brandy, vodka, etc. lose a bit of ABV whenever you open them as a matter of evaporation. I have a bottle of Martell cognac and Seagrams VO that my dad gave me a few months ago that are about 2 years old. They have both lost their edge in that their signature characters and flavors have really fallen off, and the alcohol bite has dropped substantially. They're what I would call weak/watered down if I were to get one in a bar somewhere, and I'd send it back and ask for a different drink.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

Ibiduin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 5, 2005
port is actually fermented in air... it relys on a "yeast moat" of sorts to help lessen the oxidation.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns