• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

newbee blueberry question

Barrel Char Wood Products

al

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 18, 2005
this is my first batch and i started out with 2lbs clover honey and 2 pounds blueberries . i put the berries in the primary and my question is how long should i leave them in the primary . do berries fall off or will they allways float . i have noticed a change in color of the berries . do meads with berries take longer to finish than plain mead ? thank you al

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
my experience with whole berries in the primary is that they continue to float. I would suggest that you leave them in the primary for about 4 weeks. I don't think you would get much benefit if you left them on much longer.

The last time I made blueberry mead, I topped up with "Just Blueberries" juice, because I wanted it very fruity. I think it is made by knudsen. This has now been in the bottle for about 4 months now after bulk aging for about 3 months. Still a little harsh, but has a wonderful blueberry flavor. Once it mellows a bit more, I think it will be great!
Good luck with yours!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns