• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Hi Everybody

Barrel Char Wood Products

beeboy

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 29, 2004
Port Orange, Florida, USA
Hey everybody, I've finally gotten settled down in Florida, been away for a couple of months and have a bit of catching up to do. It's been exactly one year since I started my first batch of mead and I'm still brewing along happily. My last batch that I started six weeks ago, in the middle of the move, is a elderberry melomel using local picked (free) berries. It's good to be back,
Drink, Laugh and Love, Beeboy

P

Pawn

Heya Beeboy, glad to hear your back, Im a n00b so you won't remember me.

Im curious, how did your first batch of mead turn out?

Cheers...John

briankettering

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 2, 2005
And another question: How many pounds of elderberries did you use in your melomel? ???

I made a batch of elderberry melomel both this year and last year. Last year's batch used 17 pounds of berries. This years batch used 5 1/2 pounds.

Brian K

beeboy

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 29, 2004
I've got one bottle left of my first mead, five gallons seemed like a lot at the time but what with gifts and parties it goes fast.
The elderberry mead started with about 1/2 gallon of berries in the primary, I would guess about 5 lbs. When I racked to the secondary I tossed in almost 3/4 of a gallon (8lbs). I boiled the berries both times but didn't heat any of the other ingredients. This is for a five gallon batch. The flavor of the berries seem verry faint, how did you batch turn out from last year? Beeboy

storm1969

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 13, 2005
Columbia, MD
How can you tell if eldeberries are ripe? I have a few plants in my back yard that are full of berries, that are black, but don't seem to have a lot of flavor.

Brian

beeboy

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 29, 2004
If the berries are black and the clusters are drooping they are ripe, sounds like yours are ready. The ones I've used don't have much of a flavor either but have given a great color to my mead. When you pick them put them in a plastic bag and freeze them, the berries fall off the stems and are easier to handle. I ended up harvesting three 1/2 gallon ziplock bags over a month and kept them frozen till I started this batch. One of the reasons I added extra elderberries to the secondary was to get more berry flavor, the primary fermentation took out a lot of the elderberry but left the red color. So far it looks like this batch is running a bit sweet with a sg at 1.04, would like to get it down to 1.02 or below. Might have to rack again and top off with water and try to get the fermentation restarted. Drink, Laugh and Love, Beeboy

P

Pawn

An old guy told me one time, pick them after the first frost, he said they gain flavor.

Elderberry rhubarb pie mmm,
Cheers...John

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns