• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Which Hydrometer to Buy for Mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

painthappy

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 23, 2005
So I guess I have the wrong Hydrometer... I've just learned it is a Final Gravity / finishing Hydrometer, with a limited scale, but very specific.

When doing Mead, the number is off the charts because of the high sugar content. This has been making finding the initial SG very difficult to say the least.

So... which one should I get. I was just checking them out here:
http://www.morebeer.com/browse.html?category_id=2414&keyword=&x=1&y=1

I just made a new batch of a Cranberry Mead, and I'd like to keep better details, as opposed to the last Tupelo Mead I bottled a few months back.

New to this, but really enjoying...

Thanks in advance!

intothefray

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 11, 2005
How about one that's not fragile? I cut my hand up pretty bad this weekend when I broke mine and didn't notice.

kuri

NewBee
Registered Member
May 5, 2013
Japan
How about one that's not fragile? I cut my hand up pretty bad this weekend when I broke mine and didn't notice.

A non-fragile hydrometer is usually called a refractometer. :)

More seriously, I don't know of a non-fragile hydrometer. It should be possible in principle to make one, but I've never seen one. Refractometers, on the other hand, don't break easily, and can give you the same information you get from a hydrometer. If you get one that goes up to 30 Brix that will cover most of your mead needs. 30 Brix translates to about 1.125 SG. You need some software to interpret the measurements after fermentation has begun, but a refractometer also has the advantage of only requiring a few drops of liquid to get a reading. Here's a link to a decent one that's relatively cheap. (The down side of a refractometer is that it costs more than a hydrometer. You generally only have to buy them once, though.)

http://www.morebeer.com/products/refractometer-dual-scale-atc.html?site_id=5

Jas53

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 27, 2011
Plymouth, Michigan
The links are 10 years old - business do change their inventory, manufacturer, etc - you can still find them easily at the site given by Oskaar or any other brew/wine sites.

hivemind1984

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 16, 2014
MD
www.facebook.com
A non-fragile hydrometer is usually called a refractometer. :)

More seriously, I don't know of a non-fragile hydrometer. It should be possible in principle to make one, but I've never seen one. Refractometers, on the other hand, don't break easily, and can give you the same information you get from a hydrometer. If you get one that goes up to 30 Brix that will cover most of your mead needs. 30 Brix translates to about 1.125 SG. You need some software to interpret the measurements after fermentation has begun, but a refractometer also has the advantage of only requiring a few drops of liquid to get a reading. Here's a link to a decent one that's relatively cheap. (The down side of a refractometer is that it costs more than a hydrometer. You generally only have to buy them once, though.)

http://www.morebeer.com/products/refractometer-dual-scale-atc.html?site_id=5

don't most meads start out higher than 30 brix? That is moreso my question regarding what range hydrometer to look for because all the hydrometers we have for testing wine as well as our refractometer were all unable to give accurate readings on any mead must i have ever done using 3lbs. per gallon.

hivemind1984

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 16, 2014
MD
www.facebook.com
I did just find a refractometer in the 28-62% range though not at the link below. As far as hydrometers it seems they have a smaller range generally so for mead making I'm thinking it's a good idea to get at least 2-3 different ones going up to at least 1.2 SG but that's just me.

hivemind1984

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 16, 2014
MD
www.facebook.com
Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns