PDA

View Full Version : How many people...

Dmntd
08-25-2005, 09:08 AM
on this forum play musical instruments?

What do you play, and whats your preferred style?

Anthony

HomeBrew
08-25-2005, 09:21 AM
I have been struggling with the 5-string bluegrass banjo for about a year now. My dog no longer leaves the room when I get the case out, so I must be getting it down...Either that or she has gone deaf :-[

I built a washtub bass to go along with the banjo. It's fun to pluck around on but I really like to get other people on it to accompany my banjo playing...I could use all the help I can get since I don't have much rhythm by myself.

I also have about 15 different hand-drums that I love to beat around on. I don't get to as many music festivals/ drum circles as I used to, but they are still a blast.

Peace.

Mynx
08-25-2005, 11:36 AM
Learning to play the penny whistle, and I want to get a bohdran. Cant sing, but I fake it ;)

Miriam
08-25-2005, 12:07 PM
I played acoustic guitar till carpal tunnel syndrome got me. Bluegrass, folklore, Bossa Nova and samba. Still keep my voice exercised, though. I'd go nuts if I couldn't sing.

Miriam

Meriadoc
08-25-2005, 01:27 PM
i've played acoustic guitar for longer than I care to admit...

earlier this year, i took an into to banjo course, that was a nice survey course, covering both frailing and bluegrass fingerpicking. i think i liked the frailing better, and if i ever get around to buying a banjo, i think i'll take the frailing course...

Oskaar
08-25-2005, 02:36 PM
Various keyboards, and sythesizers, accordion and very small amount of guitar. I mostly played rock and fusion in bands, and at home attempted classical. I'm eyeing my keyboards and thinking of trading some of them in for a good newer keyboard that I can plug in to my computer and wig-out on.

I do some electronic music to keep myself entertained using some composition software and sampling software.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Dan McFeeley
08-25-2005, 03:38 PM
Learning to play the penny whistle, and I want to get a bohdran.

I'm also working on the penny whistle, and have a nice bodhran as well. Have you checked out Chiff and Fipple? Great site for whistle players: http://www.chiffandfipple.com

Try the discussion boards also: http://chiffboard.mati.ca

urbanraven
08-25-2005, 03:46 PM
It's been a while, but I've played clarinet, string bass, bass guitar and guitar. I doubt I could pick one up now and know what to do though. :(

David Baldwin
08-25-2005, 04:05 PM
An age ago I used to play trumpet, baritone, and french horn. That was in High School marching and symphonic bands.

Now I play a bit of wooden flute and okarina (clay clam shell shaped flute)

Dmntd
08-25-2005, 07:36 PM
Very cool. I was sure there where a number of us who play music.

I play bamjo (5-string), fiddle/violin, guitar and have played string bass. Mostly bluegrass, cajon and country any more, thoughg I have played rock, blues and classical.

I think it'd be a hoot to have a mead sharing, music playin' over night camp out.

Anthony

Dmntd
08-25-2005, 07:41 PM
Hey David, I played violin through junior high and high school, then didn't touch one for 25 years. I had a fiddle made this year and started playing again, it's like I never put it down. Well not quite, i can't sight read like I use to and it's taken some practise to get back into form, but not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

Anthony

David Baldwin
08-25-2005, 07:48 PM
I was given my great grandfathers "fiddle" a couple years ago. I was going to get it repaired and learn to play the old Norwegian folk songs. Unfortunately my violin teacher moved to Alaska - a bit too far to commute for lessons from West Michigan :(

Pawn
08-25-2005, 08:25 PM
12 string Acoustic, Love the blues, some of the older bluegrass is cool, pickin!

Dmntd
08-25-2005, 09:16 PM
Yo Homebrew,

Stay with it, 5-string banjo is by far the hardest instrument I have learned how to play, if you're learning three finger (Scrugs) style to flail or what ever it take time. I've been playing banjo for nearly 10 years now, today what I don't practice I loose. Much harder the playing fiddle.

Anthony

Mynx
08-25-2005, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the tip Dan! I'll check it out :D

Val
08-25-2005, 11:01 PM
Been a drummer for years. In school I was a killer timpanist.

These days I'm doing more bohdran and dumbek.

I also play the didgeridoo for meditational purposes.

Dan McFeeley
08-26-2005, 01:19 AM
Very cool. I was sure there where a number of us who play music.

I'm not surprised either. I've always thought that a lot of meadmakers are people with a wide range of interests. Some people make mead and are happy with that, but a fair number, I think, are people who get interested in all kinds of things, not just mead.

memento
08-26-2005, 07:07 AM
I like the rather unorthodox selection here! I expected 10 people to say they play blues rock guitar. :)

I played trumpet in grade school, but that only counts twards being able to play didgeridoo now. I play anything I can get my hands on, but my main instruments are drums, 5 string bass, and computer sequencing. prog-metal and spinoff styles for me. Think Primus, Rush, Dream Theater, Mastermind, Nightwish. I moved 3 years ago and lost my band. Been looking since then for a collaboration with a female who sings and plays. mellow electronic prog-metal type stuff like Vauxdvihl, Chroma Key and The Gathering. I love female vocals much more than male - especially for heavy stuff.

HomeBrew
08-26-2005, 09:10 AM
Dmntd,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. As frustrating as its been, I am still as enthusiastic about learning today as I was when I started, so that is good. Unfortunately, I have no musical background and there are no teachers in my area so the process has been slow. I did pick up a new banjo a few months back and that has helped a lot...I at least know when I am doing things right. A good instrument does make a difference.

Peace.

jab
08-29-2005, 12:00 AM
In years past I have played sax, clarinet, tuba, and a very little trombone.

Been toying with electronic music when I get the time.

Would love to pick up a didgeridoo!

JamesP
08-29-2005, 01:05 AM
Hey Jab,

have you been practising your circular breathing, for the didgeridoo?

memento
08-29-2005, 12:33 PM
I can't do circular breathing. :( I can hold a lot of air, but that's as far as I can go. If I ever use it on a recording, I'll have to rely on digital sampling to simulate circular breathing. ;)

jab
08-30-2005, 12:00 AM
Heh, I used to be able to do it back in high school. I had a few good sessions with Willie Thomas(?) and he helped me develop my technique. I doubt I could do it now (too much smoking, too much...well everything) but I could probably get it again with some practice.

davarm
08-30-2005, 08:20 AM
OK, here goes:

Started playing violin when I was 10 years old. I played mostly classical up through high school and college, but dabbled a little in bluegrass. The last 10 years, I've been playing mostly Trad. Irish fiddle, but also play old-time and bluegrass. I've also played a lot of local theatre productions, but not for a few years. I inherited my fiddle from my great uncle. It was made in Niagra Falls in 1903.

In high school, I discovered Led Zeppelin and started playing electric guitar. Over the years, I've played in various punk, blues, & garage bands (most of them terrible). I purchased a very nice 1979 Gibson ES-335 years ago with the intention of learning jazz, but that never happened. (still have the guitar). Recently I purchased a MIM (made in Mexico) Stratocaster and a Fender G-DEC amplifier for my 2-year old boy (ahem...cough cough). For those of you not familiar with the G-DEC, check it out on the Fender website. It's a little 15W practice amp with customizable parameters, built in drum and bass lines, midi I/O, etc. A very fun toy. Great for beginners and mid-life crisis players like me. My kid loves it!

My wife's hometown is Galax, VA, home of the largest annual fiddlers convention in the country. Every time I go, I'm always fascinated watching the old-time banjo players, using the more traditional clawhammer/frailing method. I started playing that style a few years ago and have really got into it, even though banjo players aren't very well thought of. I own a couple of Goldtone banjos (located here in Central Florida), plus I've started making my own...very crude so far, but they make noise.

I'm currently playing in a couple of bands. One is with a group of SCA people (not including myself), doing mostly Period music. The lead singer writes some great songs, plus she has an excellent voice. I'm also playing in a fiddle/guitar duo with an old Rock buddy of mine. We play O'Carolan tunes at weddings (he was a blind Irish harp player who wrote in the classical style), but we also divert into Klezmer, Balkan, and fiddle versions of old classic Rock.

Sorry, for the long post, but music is my main hobby. Mead making and drinking goes well with it.

webmaster
08-30-2005, 11:57 AM
Bodran, doumbek and a bit of wooden flute. And now that I've gotten my daughter a guitar last Xmas, she'll be taking lessons, and I've a mind to pick back up the guitar skills I learned 30-mumble years ago.......

Vicky