PDA

View Full Version : What style of bottle is your favourite?

Fortuna_Wolf
08-26-2005, 02:03 AM
Just a fun little poll. I've been washing bottles all night tonight and was wondering, what's everyone's favourite bottle style to use?
I have 2 dozen amber burgundy bottles I think I want to get rid of since I have more than enough bordeaux and hock bottles and I prefer them. Hocks are my favourite, and then bordeaux. I like beer bottles for catching anything over a multiple of a dozen wine bottles.

Oskaar
08-26-2005, 02:05 AM
Champagne and sparkling wine bottles. Easy to cap!

Cheers,

Oskaar

memento
08-26-2005, 07:19 AM
I don't know the difference between the 3 wine bottles. I don't use champagne or beer (for the most part), so it's one of the 3.

lostnbronx
08-26-2005, 02:59 PM
I've got some one-liter flip-tops that I really like.

-David

andrew_buhl
08-26-2005, 05:19 PM
Definitely the 'E-Z Cap" or grolsch type bottles. Easy to fill, Easy to clean. No Capping or corking and relcosable. And they Look Nice.

Norskersword
08-26-2005, 08:45 PM
I don't know which is which either. The green one! ;D

briankettering
08-27-2005, 12:19 AM
Here is a web page that gives a good description of the different types of wine bottles available:

http://www.thewinedoctor.com/advisory/buystorebottleshapes.shtml

I use mainly bordeaux style bottles for my mead, with burgundy taking a close second.

Brian K

JoeM
08-27-2005, 01:37 PM
My favorite style of bottle is a full one!

David Baldwin
08-27-2005, 02:11 PM
I love the presentation of the wine bottles however...

I've found teh beer bottles easy to cap and I can give more away while depleting my limited stocks less than a 750ml wine bottle.

I obviously need to step up production! ;D

David

Fedelm Dub
08-28-2005, 02:38 AM
For mead, I like wine bottles because they look nice. If I run out of wine bottles, then I'll use some beer bottles as they're easy to cap. I just need a corker and some corks because I've managed to get a nice collection of wine bottles. I just save the bottles after drinking the wine, and I've had friends give me their empty bottles. I even picked up some extra beer bottles, which will be nice if I decide to use them for mead, or another beer.

Miriam
08-28-2005, 05:15 AM
I favor the burgundy. My late Dad used to love grappa, which is bottled in 500-ml., tall, slender, black bottles. Over the years my Mom collected quite a few of them, and now I use them for leftovers from bottling and for give-aways.

I see David Baldwin shares the generous viewpoint of many of us: make a lot so you have more to give away!

Miriam

jab
08-28-2005, 10:41 PM
It's the E-Z Cap grolsch style swing tops for me.

jackwolfe
09-11-2005, 04:40 PM
I use several styles, depending on requirement and usage.
I use wine bottle for long term storage and aging, and it also allows me to fancy them up to give as gifts.
I use swing top bottles for short term storage and transporting to events. I have several sizes of these, from the 500 ml bottles (like grolsch) to 1 litre size.
I also use 1 gallon jugs sometimes when I need the quantity and it is only for short term storage.
By far I do prefer the wine bottles, they are easier to store (in a wine rack) and look far better when corked and labeled.

John