• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Answering Machine

Barrel Char Wood Products

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
There's some joker keeps calling my home number, doesn't saying anything at all, just lets the machine record white noise. I'd like to find a machine that will disconnect the call after say 3 seconds if nothing is said.

If I find out who the joker is, I'm going to send them a mackerel in a wax lined box, parcel post & C.O.D.

After giving it day in the sun.

Anthony

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I have an elk call that I like to use for those kind of scumbags!

Cheers,

Oskaar

Greenblood

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2004
It is likely an auto dialer. Large telemarketing firms use them. The auto dialer constantly make calls, and if the line pics up, the auto dialer connects it to a rep who tries to sell you something that you do not need. If however, a rep is unavailable after a few secconds, the dialer hangs up, and rinse repeat.

Greenblood

Ibiduin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 5, 2005
My folks were unwilling to pay 110 dollar bill on a cancelled cell phone contract, a 110$ bill that emerged AFTER cancelling the account. ATT Wireless forwarded all such things to a collector, and ever since then (for about 2 yrs) they get a phone call like that on thier answering machine everyday (around the same time too, dinnertimeish...). The collector has likely spent more time and money trying to get the 110$ than it's worth.

I've told them to block the number(s), and they are considering just cancelling thier home phone number (use cell phones for everything anyways).

If the machine making the call gets an answering machine, it doesn't bother connecting it to one of thier workers.

P

Pawn

I dial *69, write down there phone number, make a new dialup connection on my old pc using there number in place of the ISP, set it in properties to make 10000000000000000000000+ connection attempts with a 10 second timeout, click the link and go on about my day ;D
Cheers...John

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns