• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

What can you NOT season Mead with?

Barrel Char Wood Products
V

Vilkata

You can augment your home made mead with any fruit juice, and any berry juice, and many many spices.

Is there anything that sounds fairly good, that you cant use?

What about Sage? Like, desert sage? The dry, sage brush smell is divine! It's one of my favorite smells. Would it be even remotely possible to put that aroma and flavor in mead? Obviously you'd probably want to use a tiny tiny ammount of it.

What about Radishes? Get the spiciest parts, and use them in the process to give your mead a nice little spicy after kick. Could be really fun! That peppery spice that radishes have is unique, and as a big fan of radishes, I'm always trying to find new ways of utilising them. But remember! Radishes can only be eaten raw. Cook them, and the spiceyness goes away.

I was just curious.

---
Wine VS. Mead?
Vineyards are environmentally destrutive.
Bee hives are environmentally constructive.

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Vilkata said:
You can augment your home made mead with any fruit juice, and any berry juice, and many many spices.

Is there anything that sounds fairly good, that you cant use?

Dried marijuana leaf. ;D ;D ;D

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
WW,

Tsk tsk... ::)

But it did get a snort and a chuckle... :D

Have a great week,
Pewter

PS: Does anyone else notice that the 3 day weekends go by faster than the two day ones?

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Wrathwilde said:
Dan McFeeley said:
Dried marijuana leaf. ;D ;D ;D

I agree... you get much better results using the buds. The THC levels in the leaves are inadequate and contribute to a harsh taste. ::)

So . . . what honey did you use? ::)

Fortuna_Wolf

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 24, 2004
Doesn't matter what honey you choose when you make "special" beef jerkey metheglin.

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Well, I'm a bit late jumping in on this but...

You probably would want to stay away from some of the obvious:
Water Hemlock
Deadly Nightshade (beautiful berries but...)
Poison Sumac,

I'd probably steer clear of mushtooms - even the edible ones - and I LOVE mushrooms.

David

kash

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 20, 2006
Www.perverted-justice.com
Wrathwilde said:
David Baldwin said:
... and I LOVE mushrooms.

Even the edible ones? ::) I prefer the dried ones with blue streaks... they might taste awful, but the world becomes a tasty morel. :eek: 8)

Wrathwilde

Fixed that for ya...

Sorry, it's mushroom season up here I just got back yesterday with about 3#'s of those ugly little wonderfull items.

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
kash said:
Sorry, it's mushroom season up here I just got back yesterday with about 3#'s of those ugly little wonderfull items.

There's only one thing to do... ROAD TRIP!!!

I was debating on just that, Morel dilemma. I'm usually a punster... it's just the type of fungi I am.

Wrathwilde

Meriadoc

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jul 6, 2005
What can you not season mead with?

Me. Science hasn't yet found an answer, but empirical evidence seems to indicate that when I come in contact with your mead, the volume of mead inexplicably decreases...

hmmm.... ;D

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns