• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Himalayan Honey from Nepal

Barrel Char Wood Products

nepaliproducts

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 7, 2005
Himalayan Honey

Our Honey are collected from the wild bee colonies Apis Laboriosa, Apis dorsata and Apis cerana found in the isolated forest in Himalayan mountains of Nepal, The world's largest honey bee, Apis Laboriosa (the giant Himalayan honey bee) is a wild bee and makes it combs on high branches of trees and cliff over hangs. The honey hunters are a tribe of Mongol in central Nepal who follow the tradition of honey hunting, a tradition passed down since generations. The bees are drive away from the honeycomb by smoke. After this, a portion of the brood comb is sometimes cut off. The honey portion of the hive is brought down in baskets. People waiting near the foot of the trees, squeeze honey from the comb into earthen pots.

We make every effort to ensure that the bee products reach you at their Organic best. Organic honey is extracted by the 'cold press' method without the use of heat. This helps preserve the pollen and the enzymes that occur naturally in honey.

Besides being an economic activity harvesting cliff honey, honey hunting also involves special rituals and satisfies the leisure requirements of isolated mountain people. Hunting cliff honey is a dangerous activity and most of the cliffs are named and remembered by the names of honey hunters who died during honey harvesting. This culture does not allow the total eradication of bee nests but rather supprts the sustainable presence and multiplication of cliff bees.

For more info: Himalayan Honey

Our Honey are collected from the wild bee colonies Apis Laboriosa, Apis dorsata and Apis cerana found in the isolated forest in Himalayan mountains of Nepal, The world's largest honey bee, Apis Laboriosa (the giant Himalayan honey bee) is a wild bee and makes it combs on high branches of trees and cliff over hangs. The honey hunters are a tribe of Mongol in central Nepal who follow the tradition of honey hunting, a tradition passed down since generations. The bees are drive away from the honeycomb by smoke. After this, a portion of the brood comb is sometimes cut off. The honey portion of the hive is brought down in baskets. People waiting near the foot of the trees, squeeze honey from the comb into earthen pots.

We make every effort to ensure that the bee products reach you at their Organic best. Organic honey is extracted by the 'cold press' method without the use of heat. This helps preserve the pollen and the enzymes that occur naturally in honey.

Besides being an economic activity harvesting cliff honey, honey hunting also involves special rituals and satisfies the leisure requirements of isolated mountain people. Hunting cliff honey is a dangerous activity and most of the cliffs are named and remembered by the names of honey hunters who died during honey harvesting. This culture does not allow the total eradication of bee nests but rather supprts the sustainable presence and multiplication of cliff bees.

http://www.nepaliproducts.com

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
This sounds fascinating, but, following the link, I couldn't find any honey products. Is there another link you could provide?

-David

abejita

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 31, 2005
bottlebombs.blogspot.com
So, nepaliproducts, I didn't see anything on your website saying that your items are certified fair trade products. I wonder what kind of prices the Nepali people got for the very dangerous harvest of the honey. And if the clothes on the site were woven by tiny, tiny hands.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I don't see how $7 USD for a 330 ml container of honey is wholesale.

I'll send this persona an email and PM asking for more information.

cheers,

Oskaar

jab

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 15, 2004
radiofreeomaha.net
As much as I hate to say it Oskaar, you ought to delete this entire thread. People shilling on this board has been discussed before. I realize that we have made exceptions in the past but I am sure we have not made exceptions for someone who just creates an account and starts to peddle their wares.

* There was no direct link to the product
* The product doesn't seem (conjecture I know) to be that good of a deal
* There are more appropriate places on gotmead.com for things like this (like the classifieds)
* The fact that the original post repeated it self (the whole post) twice increases the likely hood that it is a stab in the dark spam attempt

I would appreciate it if we didn't let spam start to invade this board. After all, that's what email is for!

Nepaliproducts: Sorry if I sound harsh. We have quite a great community here that is chomping at the bit to find new and exotic honeys. Your post would be more than welcome in the classified ads section of the site. We just strive to keep the forum exactly that, a forum. Thanks for your understanding and please PM me if you have any concerns or would like some help in finding the ads section of the site. I would be more than glad to help.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I sent him an email this morning at about 8:45 AM, so if there is no answer by tomorrow same time, I'll whack the thread and ban his account. I give the non-aggressive spammers 24 hours to respond back to my emails with some kind of reason. If they don't bother, they're gone.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Griseus

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 26, 2005
Hello everyone. I just came upon your site today while just checking the web for himalayan honey. I came across this site on the search and read this thread. I have never drank mead before, but after cheking this site out, I am going to give some a try this weekend. I would like to thank everyone that has contributed the info provided on this site and I am looking forward to my first try.

Anyway, I read this guy's little speach that was the first post of this thread and found another site with the exact same pitch.

http://www.msinp.com/herbs/product/honey.htm

I used to import monitor lizards and you need to be careful where you buy from. This guy sounds a little fishy to me. I don't know about giving a credit card number to order anyway.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns