PDA

View Full Version : New York City Mead Gathering

dogglebe
09-07-2005, 08:32 PM
The New York City Homebrewers Guild will be holding its annual mead meeting on May 16th. It is tentatively scheduled on this night and will be held at Burp Castle (located at 41 East 7th Street in New York City) at 7:30pm.

Phil

jab
09-07-2005, 09:06 PM
Burp Castle...that's awesome!

dogglebe
01-22-2006, 04:07 PM
I'm hoping to confirm the guest speaker for the evening's gathering. Once it's finalized, I'll post it.

Phil

dogglebe
01-25-2006, 12:22 PM
Plans have been arranged and (all but) finallized. Our guest speaker for the May 16th NYCHG meeting is our very own Vicky Rowe. Come to the meeting and greet the Mead Wench. Share in the plethora of meads that will be passed around.

A pleasant time will be had.

Phil

webmaster
01-25-2006, 12:27 PM
Now I just gotta call USScareways and see if they'll honor the ticket voucher I have from last years' trip to KC.

Oh, and see about acquiring NY meads while I'm up there....

Vicky - glad I've got a couple months to figure out what I'll talk about.....

memento
01-25-2006, 12:41 PM
May 16? If it weren't a tuesday, I might be able to make it.

As to NY meads, I have so far found a great te'j from Brotherhood winery in Washingtonville. That's about it. :( But I've been limited to the Hudson Valley and Capital District so far. There used to be a place called "The Meadery" near Saratoga, but they shut down their mead business and now only concentrates on being an apiary.

I'm looking for NY wineries that carry mead and will post here as I find them.

webmaster
01-25-2006, 12:51 PM
Here you go:
http://www.gotmead.com/commercial-mead/us-meaderies.shtml#NY

Vicky - I *really* gotta get this into the new site.......

memento
01-25-2006, 01:34 PM
Thanks! Looks like Brotherhood is the only one I can get to without making a full day of it. :(

webmaster
01-25-2006, 01:54 PM
No worries. Glad to help. I believe that wineries *can* ship in-state, though. You might want to check it out. I highly recommend Long Island Meadery's wares. We had a tasting of all his meads here a couple weeks ago (writeups forthcoming), and every one was good, and the cyser was truly excellent.

dogglebe
01-26-2006, 12:04 AM
I've had most, if not all, of the meads from Long Island Meadery and they are excellent. It's good to have meads with different levels of sweetness from the same meadery. We will make a stop there, Vicky.

Phil

webmaster
01-26-2006, 09:28 AM
Sounds good to me, Phil! I'll see about getting the plane tix set up this week or next. I'll figure on coming in the morning of the 16th and staying until the 18th.

This is gonna be fun!

redsonja
02-14-2006, 10:15 AM
Woo and Hoo! ;D Looking forward to seeing you again Vicky.

BTW, heads up, that Washingtonville Tej is pretty dry.

I'll very likely have a lychee mead for you to try by then, and I seem to also have a blackberry/lingonberry coming ready.

Redsonja

webmaster
04-11-2006, 09:23 AM
Slight change of plans, I'll be coming in on Sunday and leaving Wednesday morning. I neglected to realize when I first planned this that this is also the week I'll be in Winchester, VA for the N-SSA (North-South Skirmish Association) National Skirmish. If I miss that, I'll be single (my hubby *loves* this stuff, as do I).

LOL...and that is the week that David Myers of Redstone Meadery is coming to NC, *and* the Brewingnetwork (http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com) is tentatively scheduling an interview with me for thier mead podcast. I *may* have to talk to them via cell phone to a backdrop of Civil War cannons going off!