• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

New York City Mead Gathering

Barrel Char Wood Products

dogglebe

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 14, 2003
hbd.org
The New York City Homebrewers Guild will be holding its annual mead meeting on May 16th. It is tentatively scheduled on this night and will be held at Burp Castle (located at 41 East 7th Street in New York City) at 7:30pm.

Phil

dogglebe

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 14, 2003
hbd.org
I'm hoping to confirm the guest speaker for the evening's gathering. Once it's finalized, I'll post it.

Phil

dogglebe

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 14, 2003
hbd.org
Plans have been arranged and (all but) finallized. Our guest speaker for the May 16th NYCHG meeting is our very own Vicky Rowe. Come to the meeting and greet the Mead Wench. Share in the plethora of meads that will be passed around.

A pleasant time will be had.

Phil

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Now I just gotta call USScareways and see if they'll honor the ticket voucher I have from last years' trip to KC.

Oh, and see about acquiring NY meads while I'm up there....

Vicky - glad I've got a couple months to figure out what I'll talk about.....

memento

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 3, 2005
www.flickr.com
May 16? If it weren't a tuesday, I might be able to make it.

As to NY meads, I have so far found a great te'j from Brotherhood winery in Washingtonville. That's about it. :( But I've been limited to the Hudson Valley and Capital District so far. There used to be a place called "The Meadery" near Saratoga, but they shut down their mead business and now only concentrates on being an apiary.

I'm looking for NY wineries that carry mead and will post here as I find them.

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
No worries. Glad to help. I believe that wineries *can* ship in-state, though. You might want to check it out. I highly recommend Long Island Meadery's wares. We had a tasting of all his meads here a couple weeks ago (writeups forthcoming), and every one was good, and the cyser was truly excellent.

dogglebe

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 14, 2003
hbd.org
I've had most, if not all, of the meads from Long Island Meadery and they are excellent. It's good to have meads with different levels of sweetness from the same meadery. We will make a stop there, Vicky.

Phil

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Sounds good to me, Phil! I'll see about getting the plane tix set up this week or next. I'll figure on coming in the morning of the 16th and staying until the 18th.

This is gonna be fun!

redsonja

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 11, 2005
Woo and Hoo! ;D Looking forward to seeing you again Vicky.

BTW, heads up, that Washingtonville Tej is pretty dry.

I'll very likely have a lychee mead for you to try by then, and I seem to also have a blackberry/lingonberry coming ready.

Redsonja

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Slight change of plans, I'll be coming in on Sunday and leaving Wednesday morning. I neglected to realize when I first planned this that this is also the week I'll be in Winchester, VA for the N-SSA (North-South Skirmish Association) National Skirmish. If I miss that, I'll be single (my hubby *loves* this stuff, as do I).

LOL...and that is the week that David Myers of Redstone Meadery is coming to NC, *and* the Brewingnetwork (http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com) is tentatively scheduling an interview with me for thier mead podcast. I *may* have to talk to them via cell phone to a backdrop of Civil War cannons going off!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns