PDA

View Full Version : where the honey??

palecricket1
09-10-2005, 04:01 PM
Bottled a batch of blueberry melomel today. Really beutiful stuff, but when i took a taste it was like drinking Reisling with a little blueberry juice. So what happened to the honey? I used blueberry honey, which is medium dark and pretty strongly flavored. Could the yeast have killed the flavor? And more imporantly: is there anything I can do to fix this?

Oskaar
09-10-2005, 04:04 PM
You can backsweeten with honey and stabilze with K-metabisulfite and K-sorbate to bring some honey flavor back into your mix.

Oskaar

palecricket1
09-10-2005, 09:46 PM
this is true, though I was kind of looking forward to a dry mead. Oh well, I guess I'll survive with a semi-dry... somehow ::)

Greenblood
09-12-2005, 10:27 AM
How long has this mel aged? I have found that some of my melomels loose their honey character for a time, and regain it with age.

Greenblood

palecricket1
09-12-2005, 10:23 PM
It actually hasn't been aged very long at all. I left it on the lees for a week or two to let it clear out and to make sure the mead was good and stable. Then I bottled. So it's been aging for around three weeks now since fermentation was over. So should I just let it be for now? Is there any harm in backsweetening, say, 6 months from now?