PDA

View Full Version : Surprized Newbee

Vladimir
12-07-2004, 01:34 AM
Since I was a 12-13 years old kid, I wanted to have my own brewery/distillery bisness. I was fascinated by finding meads recipies in old books, magazins of 19th centuary, and was very sad that such a great drink was forgotten in Ukraine and Russia. And due to mafia/burocrasy system in my native Ukraine, I always thought to start that bisness here, in US.
And I found out that its may be even more difficult then in Ukraine! Expensive licensies, forbiden shipping, ets.., Thats pretty bad :(
Well we are moving from DC area to Tennessee pretty soon, to a little farm, so hopefully at least i will have a possibility to start my childhood's dream :) I don't even care if it will be a failure-- all I want is to experiment with recipies, create my own, and hopefully make one which will make everyone happy:)
I can invest between 10 and 15 grands in it- not much, but...
So, the question is, how to spend them in the best way?
Can you give particular examples of failure/success? Common mistakes? Thank you very much

David Baldwin
12-07-2004, 01:58 AM
Vladimir,

Zdravstvuite!

Do lots of research ahead of time before you spend a dime. A small business can be very successful with limited capitol assets, but it takes lots of planning and a thorough understanding of what you are going to be doing.

One cardinal rule of small business success is never borrow money. Start small and grow the business as profits allow.

There are many resources in small business startup and management that can help you as you look into getting started.

Check with the Better Business Bureau or the Small Business Association closest to where you are moving. They can be a lot of help.

Watch this section of this forum for updates. There are some good articles there already.

There are many here who share your dream, and some of us may even become successful professional mazers.

Keep us informed of your progress.

David

PS Where in Ukraine are you from? I spent about 2 weeks in Zaporozhe.

Oskaar
12-07-2004, 03:24 AM
Priviet Vladimir! Dobro poshatovat ve forums obsushdenia.

Sorry for the phonetic Ruskii but the cyrillic character set isn't supported for messaging.

Congratulations on your new little farm, that should be quite an adventure for you and your family. Best of luck, and keep posting!

Dosvidanya,

Oskaar

Suzy_Q_Brewmistres
12-07-2004, 06:33 AM
Hello Vlad....
Welcome, I think several of us have plans for running a meadery... eventually... no matter what the size is. I'm only new to the mead making... since sept 04.. so I have no knowledge of operating a meadery.
But my advice is begin NOW on your recipes.... build your experience. While you are researching and blending... look into the rest of the buisness aspects of running a meadery.
Create a plan... enjoy your mead... let us know how you are doing.

:-* Suzy Q, Brewmistress

ScottS
12-07-2004, 06:45 PM
You can start a meadery for $10k or less, if you've already got a building to house it. Your biggest single expenses are going to be facilities. Find out what your state requires in terms of inspected production facilities, get your plan approved before you start construction/renovation, and do the bare minimum necessary. Let it grow, and reinvest the profits.

But first, you've got to be able to produce a saleable product. ;D

Jmattioli
12-07-2004, 09:26 PM
Valdimir,
Welcome. Tennessee is a great place for mead making. Good country folk who like their liquor and police and local government who pretty well keep their nose out of your business. My brother lives there and grows grapes and makes wine. Where in TN are you moving?
Cheers,
Joe

Vicky Rowe
12-09-2004, 09:25 PM
Tennessee is a great place for mead making. Good country folk who like their liquor and police and local government who pretty well keep their nose out of your business.

Yeah, they're so busy with the meth stuff. All the cops I trained in TN, thats all they could talk about.

(And a number of them were able to recognize my license plate, which says 'GotMead?')

Great folks in TN. I'm considering moving there when the kid graduates college.......

Vicky - itching to work on Gotmead, but obilgated to finish the billiards site first.....