PDA

View Full Version : Rabbits Foot Sweet Mead

mavityre
10-06-2004, 07:01 AM
OK folks.
The sweet mead is also very good. Nice hints of oak. Should be since they barrel it for a number of years.
Still a little too sweet for my taste's though.
My wife liked the dry mead better. More of a chardoney to her.
Something about it though.......... Can't place my finger on it........
If I could get something right in the middle I wouldn't drink anything else.

yabb_unknown_usr
11-09-2004, 05:11 AM
Try our Cyser. We are releasing it commercially next week when the labels arrive. I think it will be right in the middle of where you want to be wit hsweet vs dry.

Mike

Oskaar
11-09-2004, 03:20 PM
Hey Mike,

Can you give us some insight about your cyser without revealing your "secret recipe?"

I've made a couple of cysers now, and found that I really like them from sweet to dry across the board. I've used raisins and dates so far as nutrients and they really round out the flavor. I'm curious as to your thoughts on cysers.

Thanks,

Oskaar

yabb_unknown_usr
11-10-2004, 08:35 PM
It's all about the apples. You'll need to have the right types of apples to make the best cyser.

What you are looking for is balance between sweet, bitter and sharp apples. Pair that with a quality honey of moderate aroma and you'll have a good cyser.

How was that for secretive? Seriously though, if you have specific questions let me know.

--
Rabbit's Foot Meadery
Award Winning Mead

http://www.rabbitsfootmeadery.com

Pewter_of_Deodar
11-10-2004, 09:36 PM
Do you use a different yeast for your cysers as opposed to melomels or straight meads?

Would you please share your preferences and why you choose each if possible?

Thanks,
Pewter

Oskaar
11-11-2004, 11:27 AM
Hey Mike,

I was interested in your cyser-making method. Specifically if you crush the apples and use the juice, or if you core the apples, and use them semi-juiced and in chunks. I've heard that the skins from the chunks add another degree of complexity to the overall taste of the cyser and wondered if you go just with juice, or with more of a pulp including the skins.

Also I was curious about whether or not you oak your cyser. The modified version of Ken Schramm's cyser I made has incredible potential at only two months old, and I think oak would really ratchet it up a couple of notches.

Thanks,

Oskaar