PDA

View Full Version : Age of Commercial Mead

Norskersword
08-29-2004, 11:47 PM
I've been wondering about this for some time and decided to research into it. I've been wondering if commercial meaderies send their meads out right after production or if they age it first like some wineries do. I decided to email this question to a couple wineries.

Question: Hello I was just wondering, do you age your mead before shipping it? I was just wondering because I was thinking about ordering your mead and I'm wondering if I should age it when I get it.

Rabbit's Foot Meadery
Mike Faul himself responded to this question:

"Oh no. It comes to you ready to drink. Now that said, you can age it longer and it will get better. Especially the Pear Mead and most positivley the Mead of Poetry.

Otherwise you can drink today. I believe the current offerings bottled are 3-4 years old."

Cheers to Mike and his meadery for taking so much pride in their products!

Bergetto Winery (Makers of Chaucers)
"The shelf life of our Mead after you receive it should be between 6-mos and 1 year. No longer."

For some time I've been thinking that some places have had their mead sitting around longer and that if you buy it from some stores, it is too young to drink, while with others it is just right. Now I realize that if 6 months is the youngest I will be able to buy their mead, that means for Chaucers it takes roughly a year or so, from fermentation to your wine glass, to be good.

White Winter Winery
No response. This is actually the second time I sent them this question with no response. Seems their email account is always full.

ScottS
08-30-2004, 01:07 AM
If I recall correctly, Redstone's nectars and meads are bottled at 9 months, and the reserve is bottled at 18. The nectar that I've had most definitely would benefit from more aging. The reserve was great.

Oskaar
08-30-2004, 02:57 AM
When I spoke to Mike at Chaucer's (Bargetto) he told me that they shoot for a particular Brix reading corresponding to a dry level mead. They then backsweeten, stabilize and bottle.

Oskaar

jab
09-07-2004, 06:11 AM
If I recall correctly, Redstone's nectars and meads are bottled at 9 months, and the reserve is bottled at 18. The nectar that I've had most definitely would benefit from more aging. The reserve was great.

I was just there for a tour in July. I believe you are correct. And yes, the reserve was aboslutely delicious!