• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Chaucer's Raspberry Mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I had a bottle of the Chaucer's raspberry Mead yesterday while contemplating the directly proportional relationship between the rise in ambient heat here in SoCal and the increase in my electricity bill.

What I expected and what I got were two very different things.

I didn't get a sense of any raspberry flavour so I read the label on the bottle. Evidently the raspberry mead is a mixture of their regular mead, and their raspberry wine. It was a weird flavor and at $10 a bottle (500 ml), I was less than impressed.

It was astringent, and very thin on the raspberry character. Normally I drink my mead chilled, but I let this come up to room temperature. Not a really significant change though. Their regular mead is good, and fairly priced at $10/bottle (750) ml. but I won't be wasting my money on their raspberry mead anytime soon again.

Oskaar

V

Vicky Rowe

Interesting. I was wondering how that was. I haven't tried it yet.......although I've 3 bottles of Polish mead I got in trade from some English mead from Chris, and a Tej and some Welsh mead, and some Ohio mead, and some western VA mead that needs trying, as well as the last of the Redstone mead that I'm planning on getting at least of case of when I go to the Meadfest in CO this year.............

Vicky

WikdWaze

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 2, 2004
I have yet to hear anybody say anything positive about a Chaucer's mead. I'm wanting to try a commercial mead, but I believe I'll steer clear of theirs.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Dude,

Don't get me wrong, Chaucer's is passable mead. But the raspberry mead is a 500 ml bottle for 10 bucks, and I found it to be wanting. The Chaucers show mead (sweet) won a gold medal at some point. It's a good mead, but I've had better by my own hand, and from my friends.

The biggest thing about mead is to just do it! Make it and keep making it until you can reproduce the mead you like in your sleep. I think the more you make make mead, the better you get at it. And the more you understand how to make a good, consistent basic mead, the more easily you can improvise on your recipe.

Hey Vicky, is that Polish mead the Lednicki stuff? It's really DIFFERENT tasting mead if that is the stuff you have. Drink it warm. I have a post somewhere about my tastings on it, and with some links to other tasting notes.

Regards,

Oskaar

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
These guys are just down the street from me. I love going in there they have a huge selection of wine, spirits, beers, etc. AND cigars, chocolate and other neat little goodies.

http://www.hitimewine.com/iStar.asp?a=29

Ahhh hedonism, it's my calling in life! Use the search tool and type in mead.

Oskaar

WikdWaze

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 2, 2004
My only concern with trying a commercial mead is that the Mrs. may not like it and would then be skeptical of my attempt to make better. It's like I said in another post, drinking a Bud will not tell you if you like beer.

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
I like Chaucers, actually. The trick with Chaucers is to find a place that has had it sitting around for awile. The label says "drink as soon as possible after purchase" for some reason, but I think it is like every other mead that gets better with age.

The only other mead I've tried was a rasberry melomel from White Winter Winery. When I got it and tasted it I found it to be badly in need of aging and I was sorry I opened it. So I think I should order some more and let it age. It had good reviews and was one of a few reviews you will find on gotmead.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns