PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations

WikdWaze
08-11-2004, 04:02 PM
Not really news, but this is the closest category I could find. Just wanted to give everybody a pat on the back. This is by far the most mature, well-mannered board I've ever been on. Even my (occasionally) off-the-wall ideas are met with rational thought and logic instead of the usual "yer an idiot". Kudos all around. I'd offer everybody a drink, but I haven't made any yet ;)

Norskersword
08-11-2004, 11:01 PM
I know exactly what you mean! I recently found a philosophy forum and posted something and I got plenty of those! I won't be posting again on that site!

WikdWaze
08-12-2004, 12:50 AM
Flamed on a philosophy forum? That's ridiculous. Of all the groups you would expect to be rational and intelligent, philosophers would have to be near the top. Go back and offer them all some tea.... hemlock tea. ;D

Norskersword
08-12-2004, 02:21 AM
That's exactly what I was thinking. For a philosophy forum, everyone was surprisingly very closed minded. I get the strong feeling everyone there just wanted to feel big and smart. Even the administrators were smartasses! It should have been renamed "closed minded a-hole forum".

WikdWaze
08-12-2004, 02:34 AM
Philosophers trying to feel big and important? No! ::)

Automotive boards are the worst. I wish I had a dollar for every time I've read "if that was such a good idea they'd already be doing it". Personally, I've never been a fan of the status quo. Where would the world be if nobody ever tried anything outlandish?

Besides, I have to think outside the box, I'm claustrophobic. ;D

Oskaar
08-12-2004, 02:57 AM
I gotta say that most of the usenet forums are unmoderated which lends itself to inappropriate behavior, flaming, trolling and general dissent amongst the ranks.

They're a wonderful source for that obscure bit of intel you need to uninstall POSIX on your Win2K Advanced Server, find and remove virus entries in your XP Pro registry, download all manner of women, men and beasts engaged in various states of dress and undress, and in various poses and states of physical communion. MP3 files abound along with your favorite television serials (B5 was the best space opera ever to hit TV IMNSHO) in DVD, VCD and DiVX format; in short the choices are endless.

However while there is a feeling of community in each of the different groups, the constant bickering, spamming, trolling and general one-ups-manship is really unappealing. That's what makes this a great group to post in, especially because while we all enjoy making, and drinking our mead, we all have our own approach to our craft.

To me, it really speaks volumes that we're able to disagree on tastes, techniques, processes, methods and the like, and still agree on enjoying our end product. Giving respect to people is a precious commodity in this day and age, and the posters on this board should take the time to appreciate themselves and their brethren in these forums for doing precisely that. Everyone here seems to really embrace being helpful, courteous and respectful.

It is such an easy thing to criticise and point out what everyone does wrong. It's much more difficult to smile and catch someone in the act of doing something right, and add some helpful suggestions. I like that about this community!

Cheers,

Oskaar

WikdWaze
08-12-2004, 04:04 AM
To me, it really speaks volumes that we're able to disagree on tastes, techniques, processes, methods and the like, and still agree on enjoying our end product. Giving respect to people is a precious commodity in this day and age, and the posters on this board should take the time to appreciate themselves and their brethren in these forums for doing precisely that. Everyone here seems to really embrace being helpful, courteous and respectful.

It is such an easy thing to criticise and point out what everyone does wrong. It's much more difficult to smile and catch someone in the act of doing something right, and add some helpful suggestions. I like that about this community!

Cheers,

Oskaar
Can I get an "Amen"?

Norskersword
08-12-2004, 04:17 AM
Amen!

Oh! Wikd I just got the "hemlock tea" joke! ;)

WikdWaze
08-12-2004, 04:27 AM
Amen!

Oh! Wikd I just got the "hemlock tea" joke! ;)
Once again the simple southern boy is too fast for y'all sophisticated city folk. ;D

Oskaar
08-12-2004, 09:19 PM
Et tu Socrates?

Jmattioli
08-13-2004, 06:01 AM
Congratulations are in order:

Honorary Mead Maker Award

presented to

WikdWaze

;D

:)for exceeding 100 posts :)

:Dwithout yet making his first Mead :D

;D

This is a record on the GodMead Forum and I am proud to present this certificate of Award. ........ Joe MeadMaker

Oskaar
08-13-2004, 06:03 AM
;D ROTFLMAO! :o

Norskersword
08-13-2004, 06:08 AM
HAHA That's great. That seriously makes me laugh out loud. ;D

Norskersword
08-13-2004, 06:09 AM
Don't blame him, his woman is slowing him down! *makes whipping sound*

WikdWaze
08-13-2004, 11:08 AM
Congratulations are in order:

Honorary Mead Maker Award

presented to

WikdWaze

;D

:)for exceeding 100 posts :)

:Dwithout yet making his first Mead :D

;D

This is a record on the GodMead Forum and I am proud to present this certificate of Award. ........ Joe MeadMakerI'd like to thank all the little people that helped make this possible ;D

WikdWaze
08-13-2004, 11:09 AM
I will be getting my second carboy this weekend, as soon as I find a store that still sells apple juice in 1-gallon glass jugs.

Jmattioli
08-13-2004, 06:51 PM
That's great news and you are a great Sport.
Sincerely, Joe

WikdWaze
08-14-2004, 06:13 AM
That's great news and you are a great Sport.
Sincerely, JoeIf you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at? It really is amusing how fast I've moved up the ranks without ever having made a batch. At least I feel good that my posts have been relevent and not just posted to say "look at me".

Norskersword
08-15-2004, 09:28 PM
If you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at? It really is amusing how fast I've moved up the ranks without ever having made a batch. At least I feel good that my posts have been relevent and not just posted to say "look at me".

Oh you are absolutely right. Don't let our jokes make you feel unwanted, we all really appreciate your contribution to the forum and your company. As much as I hate to say it, the forum was starting to slow down quite a bit before you joined and you've made things alot more interesting!

WikdWaze
08-16-2004, 12:47 AM
Oh you are absolutely right. Don't let our jokes make you feel unwanted, we all really appreciate your contribution to the forum and your company. As much as I hate to say it, the forum was starting to slow down quite a bit before you joined and you've made things alot more interesting!

I am deeply flattered. I didn't realize I had become the life of the party. I do consider myself among friends here.

Oskaar
08-16-2004, 12:58 AM
Wikd,

You'll go far in life . . . the further away the better. LOL

Just remember that all our jibs and jabs are really just our jealousy showing through because we all remember how exciting it was to make the first batch, and how much we anticipated everything that was happening.

Truth is you're joining a 12 step program here!

Oskaar: "Hi . . . my name is Oskaar . . . and I'm a meadmaker."

Everyone: "HI OSKAAR"

Norskersword
08-16-2004, 01:09 AM
I'm jealous of your helmet. ;D

Norsker: Hi I'm fairly new to the group and I just recently realized my meadmaking problem...

WikdWaze
08-16-2004, 01:23 AM
Oh, great! Another 12-step program. Thought I was finished with those.

Oskaar
08-17-2004, 02:55 AM
That's the problem with those 12 step programs. You never get finished if you're doing it right. I guess in some part that gives people the happiness they never had while they were addicted to whatever.

To me in some part it seems like they're using transference to shift the addiction from booze, drugs, sex, internet forums (LOL) or other destructive addictions to meetings, coffee and cigarettes. I know that is an oversimplification, but at the ritual level it plays an important part.

In the view of Solon however, they would be counted as being truly happy because they would know it would be a part of their lives at the end.

Oskaar