PDA

View Full Version : Not a rookie

WikdWaze
08-30-2004, 10:30 AM
I was discussing this whole mead thing with my brother the other day and he reminded me of something I had long forget. We actually made a batch of mead in highschool. Once I've passed along the tale, you'll see why I repressed the memory.

As with all meads, the recipe called for honey. Since we didn't know any better, ours was your standard store-bought honey. I'll count this as strike 1.

We also needed a gallon container. I don't remember what was originally in our jug, probably water, but at least the plastic was clear enough we could see what was going on. Strike 2.

Seventeen or eighteen years ago when all this transpired we had no idea where to get brewers yeast, so bread yeast it was. Strike 3.

The clever folks who created the recipe invented a combination airlock/fermentation alarm. You simply put a balloon over the mouth of the jug. The CO2 inflated the balloon, when fermentation stopped the balloon gradually deflated, when the balloon was flat again, you knew it was done.

Being neophytes, we had no idea what to look for or expect. The sludge at the bottom of the jug was a mystery, but we figured it was like pulp in orange juice and shook it up before tasting.

It should come as no surprise that the vast majority of that gallon jug found it's way down the drain.

And now everybody knows the horrific truth about my first ever batch of mead. Think I'll consider this next one my first serious batch.

Bryon
08-30-2004, 01:55 PM
Pulp. I like that. thats funny.

My buddy and I did the same thing with corn sugar. Now that was a nasty batch of crap. not chunky enough to be called pulp though.

What dosn't kill ya makes ya stranger.

Norskersword
08-31-2004, 12:49 AM
In that case, Wikd, you have made a batch of mead! I was getting ready to tell Joe to give you another award when you reached 200 posts! ;D

Another reason you probably poured it out is because it was probably drastically under age, since you didn't know. It might have been only a week or 2 old.

WikdWaze
08-31-2004, 02:26 AM
As far as I remember, it took a couple days for fermentation to start. There were no nutrients added, so the poor yeast suffered tremendously. I don't remember how long fermentation lasted, but I don't think it was much more than a week or so. I don't think we started with a very high SG, probably just a bit heavier than Kool-Aid ;D The more I think about it, the more I think we just used a pound or two of honey. I wish I knew then what I know now.

dogglebe
08-31-2004, 09:37 PM
I've added honey to batches during fermentation. Dilute it in some water as if making a batch and add the nutrient to it.

Phil

WikdWaze
09-01-2004, 02:06 AM
I've added honey to batches during fermentation. Dilute it in some water as if making a batch and add the nutrient to it.

Phil
If we'd had that much sense when we did this, we'd have done it differently from the start ;) It's very funny to think back to it now that I've done all this research about how to really do it.