• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Spreading the faith

Barrel Char Wood Products

WikdWaze

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 2, 2004
Showed an online buddy of mine the GotMead? site, now he's interested in it. Said he was considering homebrewed beer, but this might be a more interesting alternative. Like most of us neophytes he had no idea there were so many variations to play with.

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
Besides that, beer equipment is expensive! It would be harder jumping in to something that is expensive from the get go rather than cheap and easy like mead.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Trust me, I'm a believer on the cost of beer equipment. Thousands of dollars on that hobby. I still love to brew it, but all grain brewing systems can be costly, along with the extra refrigerators, corny kegs, tappers, brewhouse setup, ya da da, ya da da!

But, the upside is that I can use most everything I did acquire to make three times as much mead in one sitting so . . . LIFE IS GOOD!

Oskaar

WikdWaze

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 2, 2004
Think I'm gonna have to get me a 100 gal. setup just so I can say mine's bigger'n yours. ;D

WikdWaze

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 2, 2004
Oskaar said:
Oh no! Racking cane envy :eek:
I wonder just how long it would take to rack 100 gallons through a normal-sized racking cane? I'm betting the mead would be perfectly aged by the time it got fully transfered ;D

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Gaad!

I'd never use a racking cane for 100 gallons. Sheesh, I'd be like, 100 years old before it got done. LOL On something like that kind of quantity a mass fermentation and storage vessel with a good large valve for transferring would be needed.

Oskaar

WikdWaze

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 2, 2004
Oskaar said:
Gaad!

I'd never use a racking cane for 100 gallons. Sheesh, I'd be like, 100 years old before it got done. LOL On something like that kind of quantity a mass fermentation and storage vessel with a good large valve for transferring would be needed.

Oskaar
Hey, that's perfect. Line the cane and tube with oak and you get a perfectly aged mead just by racking ;D

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
Oskaar said:
Gaad!

Oskaar

Yes that's why plastic bucket fermentors are so popular, because they have a valve.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Aren't the plastic buckets with spigots mostly for bottling? I mean I'm sure they'd be fine for fermenting, but the yeast would settle into the spigot lumen, and a lot of the yeast would probably come off the yeast cake on the bottom when you decant to your secondary.

Have you used this before? Just curious because I'd thought about it but upon rexamination I figured there would be too much of the yeast transferred to the secondary?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Oskaar

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
Well alot of people like plastic fermenters because of the valve. I've never heard of anyone using it for bottling, I've only heard of it being used for a primary fermentor.

The valve is positioned right above where the lees settles so the thing is made for racking.

I havn't used one though, but I may one of these days. The pros and cons of a plastic fermentor are detailed pretty well in Shramm's book. Heres What I remember:

Pros:
-Easy clean up.
-The valve for racking.
-Often easier to add ingredients. No funnels.
-No plugged up carboys when adding fruit in primary.

Cons:
-Some meadmakers don't like the use of plastic, even food grade plastic.
-More headspace, but Shramm emphasises that this is not a problem. For one thing, the CO2 from the yeast pushes out any oxygen that might be in the headspace. This is why these are only used for Primary however, since headspace is more of an issue in secondary.

WikdWaze

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 2, 2004
Norskersword said:
Well alot of people like plastic fermenters because of the valve. I've never heard of anyone using it for bottling, I've only heard of it being used for a primary fermentor.

The valve is positioned right above where the lees settles so the thing is made for racking.

I havn't used one though, but I may one of these days. The pros and cons of a plastic fermentor are detailed pretty well in Shramm's book. Heres What I remember:

Pros:
-Easy clean up.
-The valve for racking.
-Often easier to add ingredients. No funnels.
-No plugged up carboys when adding fruit in primary.

Cons:
-Some meadmakers don't like the use of plastic, even food grade plastic.
-More headspace, but Shramm emphasises that this is not a problem. For one thing, the CO2 from the yeast pushes out any oxygen that might be in the headspace. This is why these are only used for Primary however, since headspace is more of an issue in secondary.
I like the valve idea, but something strikes me as odd. The valve can't possibly be at exactly the right height for every recipe. There would have to be times when the valve was too low and the lees came through. Either that or they set the valve so high that you'll lose more precious mead than you would by racking.

I have a similar problem with the fancy conical fermenters where you're supposed to open the bottom valve and drain the lees out instead of removing the mead from the lees. Sounds great in theory, but I can see all kinds of things going wrong in the harsh light of reality.

ScottS

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 12, 2003
www.slezakfarms.com
I've got a plastic bucket with a spigot that I never use anymore. The spigot is impossible to clean, and I'm not willing to risk a batch by even letting my mead touch that bucket. So it has been demoted to an equipment storage bucket.

Conical fermenters work great. Lees fall to the bottom, you open the valve to get rid of them, the mead stays in place, etc. No worries. :)

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
WikdWaze said:
I like the valve idea, but something strikes me as odd. The valve can't possibly be at exactly the right height for every recipe. There would have to be times when the valve was too low and the lees came through. Either that or they set the valve so high that you'll lose more precious mead than you would by racking.

As to my understanding, the valve is a little above the lees. This isn't a problem, however, because even racking with a racking cane requires you tip the fermenter a little to save more of the mead. Being able to do this without getting much lees is where the racking "skills" come in.

ScottS said:
I've got a plastic bucket with a spigot that I never use anymore. The spigot is impossible to clean, and I'm not willing to risk a batch by even letting my mead touch that bucket. So it has been demoted to an equipment storage bucket.

There are a few kinds of spigots to choose from and some are easier to clean than others. It sounds like you have one from the "hard to clean" catagory.

On the other hand, I havn't had experience with these, however. I only know what I've read. Shramm seems to supports them however.

WikdWaze

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 2, 2004
Norskersword said:
As to my understanding, the valve is a little above the lees. This isn't a problem, however, because even racking with a racking cane requires you tip the fermenter a little to save more of the mead. Being able to do this without getting much lees is where the racking "skills" come in.
:-[ Didn't even think about tilting the bucket :-[
Wiley Coyote, supergenius

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns