PDA

View Full Version : Ken Schram's DAP/Energizer schedule

Greenblood
11-18-2004, 08:13 AM
While at Meadfest, I had the privilage to attend Ken's advanced mead making seminar. During the seminar, Ken presented what appeared to be a very practical, and effective nutrient addition schedule. I was not taking notes as I should have been. Does anyone here have the details? As I remember, the additions spanned the first 4 days in primary, introducing oxygen through agitation after each nutrient addition. I don't remember the measurements that Ken recomended. Anyone?

jab
11-18-2004, 08:44 AM
Sure, I believe it was (for a 5 gal batch) 2 tsp. of nutrient and 1 tsp. of energizer total. So that would be .5 tsp of nutrient and .25 tsp. of energizer per day for 4 days.

Jmattioli
11-18-2004, 09:58 AM
I sat through the class also and since have been researching continuing oxygenation and progressive introduction of nutrients. Some commercial meaderies use it. I read some negative articles some researches had concerning the practice. It seems that re-introducing oxygen after fermentation had started had some negative effects on the yeast. I'll try to find the research paper and post it if you are interested. The conclusion was it is healthier for normal fermentations to aerate well one time before pitching the yeast and then not to mess with reoxygenating again. It's not good to mess with mother nature! :D
Joe

exmoor_cat
11-18-2004, 02:12 PM
home economics 101 here - tsp = teaspoon or tablespoon?

jab
11-18-2004, 08:31 PM
Heh, sorry.

tsp = teaspoon
Tbsp = tablespoon

Why can we idiots in the US move to metric?!?!

CosmicCharlie
11-18-2004, 08:57 PM
"My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and thatís the way I like it!"

-Grandpa Simpson

Greenblood
11-18-2004, 11:39 PM
Thanks Jab. Do you know if Ken has this posted anywhere on the web?

jab
11-19-2004, 12:11 AM
I do not, but if I find it I will post the link. His book The Compleat Meadmaker has the amounts but it was written prior to the idea of adding the nutrients and energizer incrementally.

exmoor_cat
11-19-2004, 04:57 AM
Actually an Imperial user here, just I graduated from the "little pinch of this" "Heap of that" school of cooking :D