PDA

View Full Version : Carrying mead in airline baggage?

Jmattioli
10-01-2004, 08:59 AM
Does anyone know if its legal to carry a few bottles of your mead in your checked baggage with the airlines? Any security issues? Does it have to be declared? If so, any advice on packing?
Thanks in advance,
Joe

Oskaar
10-01-2004, 10:58 AM
If it's sparkling mead I'd carry it on with me. Still is fine, you'll probably want to call the airline ahead of time and let them know that you will be checking or carrying on. It's really no different than bringing back some wine from another city, or some liquor from another country.

I've carried it with me several times with no problems.

Oskaar

Jmattioli
10-02-2004, 11:39 PM
Well, with the new security and all there might be a problem in the carry on. Checked with the airlines. Seems like the airlines will technically only allow commercial wine. Not home made.
Here is what they say:
If you're carrying wine or alcohol in your carryon luggage, make sure it is easily accessible, it has an original label, and that the corks or caps are secured by the original seals. Security personnel will ask you to remove any container filled with liquid to check the container's label and seal. If the seal is broken or the label is questionable, security will
confiscate the container.

A home label might be original but might be questionable unless it is made to look like a commercial mead. I think I'll try in the checked baggage to eliminate that problem. It is less likely they will check the label.

Joe

Oskaar
10-02-2004, 11:46 PM
Feel free to copy my Orange Blossom Special Mead label if you want, there's a link in the fun with labels section. I don't know how professional it looks, but it may help assuage the suspicions of a zealous baggage checker.

You may also consider using some foil or shrink-bottle wrap over the top to make it look less sketchy.

I think that checking the bottle in your bag is a good idea. Iíve never had a problem carrying on, but I have an honest face! ;) LOL I usually use the shrink bottle closures or foil on my champagne bottles of mead and they pass for commercial stuff.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Jmattioli
10-03-2004, 12:13 AM
Good,
I have some shrink wraps also. Great idea, That ought to fool the average agent along with a more formal label.
Joe

Talon
10-03-2004, 07:33 PM
Joe,

Having worked for the airlines, I'd definately suggest bringing it in your carry-on. My reasoning for that is I know what bags go through in the dungeon. It's not always pretty. Also, if your bottles burst due to miss handling or rough handling, you'll have mead soaked clothes and luggage. They will not honor any damage claim if it's from something glass in your bag that shattered due to rough handling.

As for the label, as long as it had the 'required' information like that which is required from a winery, then you have no problems. Just make sure you have the cork in securely and the cap on or waxed the top.

Now, as for the more stringent security proceedures, I'm not sure if this will pose any problems, although it shouldn't. Worst case scenario, talk to the team lead/supervisor on duty and see what they say about your carrying home brew with you.

Hope this helps,
Talon.

ScottS
10-05-2004, 06:41 PM
My wife and mother-in-law have carryed mead onto airplanes several times for me without incident. The only time I had them transport via carry-on, the winery packed it in boxes for them knowing that it was going to be checked on an airplane. No problems.

Jmattioli
10-05-2004, 09:20 PM
My wife and mother-in-law have carryed mead onto airplanes several times for me without incident. The only time I had them transport via carry-on, the winery packed it in boxes for them knowing that it was going to be checked on an airplane. No problems.
Hi Scott,
Was it commercial Mead or Homemade Mead? That may be the significant difference? I know they will acept commercial wine or mead or liquor but they don't have to accept homemade. Here is what they said""

If you're carrying wine or alcohol in your carryon luggage, make sure it is easily accessible, it has an original label, and that the corks or caps are secured by the original seals. Security personnel will ask you to remove any container filled with liquid to check the container's label and seal. If the seal is broken or the label is questionable, security will
confiscate the container.

They seem to be concerned with other than commercial because one could put anything in the bottle. This is something new. The trick might be to make it so they can't tell the difference at a glance.
Joe

ScottS
10-05-2004, 09:38 PM
Good point. It has always been commerical mead. Though I wonder how on the xray machine they are going to tell the difference? Does the label show up?

I suspect that if it is convenient, shipping homebrew to yourself at your destination would raise fewer questions than trying to take it on an airplane.

Jmattioli
10-05-2004, 09:48 PM
Obviously no on checked luggage but now they are suppose to physically check labels on carry-on
Joe

Oskaar
10-06-2004, 12:29 AM
Well, if you're not confident that the labels will get past security, then I'd go ahead and FedEx the bottles to the hotel you're staying at. I'm sure there's more than one person doing that. You can get those wine shipping containers (styrofoam) at many good wineshops.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

zweitracht
10-21-2004, 11:11 PM
Well, if you're not confident that the labels will get past security, then I'd go ahead and FedEx the bottles to the hotel you're staying at. I'm sure there's more than one person doing that. You can get those wine shipping containers (styrofoam) at many good wineshops.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

Can you do that in the US? Does shipping it to yourself somehow
bypass all of the silly interstate shipping laws? I've often wanted to bring a bottle while visiting friends, but am unwilling to risk airport confiscation.

-- Zw

HereKittyKitty
10-27-2004, 10:58 AM
Depends on the state.

yabb_unknown_usr
10-28-2004, 06:03 AM
Hi there
My name is John I just found out that if you bring mead on a airplane it must be stored in baggage or it can be brought on the airplane but can not be drank on the airplane.Also if you due any of this it must be packed very well ,like for example
instead of useing full size bottles, like 750 ml size , all of my mead is in beer bottle size . The box used to hold your bottles
can then be packed in a way, were each bottle is wrapped in somthing good ehough to with stand breakage and then put down into it's slot with no movement in each slot. Then foam pad or somthing of a sort for the top of box. Remember the
more you pad the better chance you have of no broken bottles.These rules came from united airlines as I take the tripp to the meadfest 2004 this year. It is important to remember that each airline might have different rules. Best bet is to check with your airlines that you will be flying with
as far as rules for this issue.with that I say good mead drinking
to all.
John ;)

Dan McFeeley
10-28-2004, 11:38 AM
I just came across this thread -- thanks for all the advice. My wife was wondering if I'd be bringing back some choice meads from the Colorado meadfest, and this will help.