PDA

View Full Version : Clarifying mead

beeboy
10-09-2004, 06:13 AM
I've got a question on how to clarify my first batch of mead. I started it back in mid August, and racked it to the secondary after two weeks when the fermentation slowed. Ten days ago I added the sulfite and sorbate to stop the yeast and help settle out the haze. I also added a pack of clarifier to help things along. Now after 10 days the bottom 1/2 of the secondary is still really murky while the top is only a bit cloudy. Should I wait another couple weeks or should I help it along with something else. This batch had peaches added which I've been told can contribute to some cloudyness. So far the flavor is fantastic, sweet at first then a tart flavor that lingers. I guess I'm gettig a bit impatient and want to get it bottled. I've already started batch #2, the persimon mead which is bubbling away as I am typing. Thanks everybody for the help. Beeboy and his buzz buzz ;D

Pewter_of_Deodar
10-09-2004, 08:46 AM
Beeboy,

Waiting will generally help it to clear further since it already appears to have started the process...

If impatient, some batches will have luck clearing if you chill them...

Jmattioli
10-09-2004, 07:35 PM
Beeboy,
Yes, Clearing usually starts from the top and it sounds like it has started. Well said Pewter. Sounds a bit slow but every mead is a bit different especially when using fruit.
Joe

JoeM
10-09-2004, 09:51 PM
you're right that peaches do tend to be an issue when it comes to clearing. I've tried a number of clearing agents myself and would have to agree with the others that the best clearing agent is time. Unfortunately you may have to just wait this one out. what was in the "pack of clarifier " that you added?

Oskaar
10-09-2004, 11:08 PM
Beeboy,

As Joe and the others have mentioned patience is a virtue when I comes to clearing.

Also, did you use pectin in your must. It helps to clear things up when you make melomels. Peach, mango and nectarine tend to be really cloudy for a really long time.

Oskaar