PDA

View Full Version : Shipping mead?

Redleg
11-03-2003, 10:44 PM
Hi, all!

Anybody have a tried and true method of mailing mead via commercial and/or government (USPS) carriers? I am trying to get 2 bottles of mead from VA to VT with the least amount of headache possible. Thanks!

Brian

chuckwm
11-04-2003, 02:37 AM
Hi, all!
Anybody have a tried and true method of mailing mead via commercial and/or government (USPS) carriers? I am trying to get 2 bottles of mead from VA to VT with the least amount of headache possible. Thanks!

Brian,

To addresses in the US I us the USPS. I have also shipped UPS with no problems. I ask friends to save me those wine club shipping boxes that have a styrofoam insert in a cardboad box. Usually the clerk asks me if it contains a liquid, and I lie and say no. :)

Shipping to friends overseas I use the same packaging, but when I fill out the required customs paperwork I always put that the package contains "yeast samples". In a way it's true; if you were good you could culture the yeast from the bottle. :)

Cheers,

Chuck

ronjohn55
11-04-2003, 06:36 PM
I don't generally have occasion to ship internationally, so I use UPS.

I take the stuff I want to send to my LHBS, we pack and weigh it, and I give him cash for the shipping amount. UPS comes to the store and picks it up the next day. Works like a charm for me.

John

David Baldwin
08-28-2004, 07:57 AM
I have had good success shipping via the United States Postal Service. Use a bit of PVC drain pipe and a couple of end caps. You cut the pipe to fit the bottle length, and cover the bottle with a plastic bag. Fill the ends with expanding foam - great stuff - and tape or glue the caps on. It makes an almost indestructible shipping container.

It should arrive in great shape - getting back into it could prove interesting if you glue both caps on... ;D

WikdWaze
08-30-2004, 10:36 AM
I have had good success shipping via the United States Postal Service. Use a bit of PVC drain pipe and a couple of end caps. You cut the pipe to fit the bottle length, and cover the bottle with a plastic bag. Fill the ends with expanding foam - great stuff - and tape or glue the caps on. It makes an almost indestructible shipping container.

It should arrive in great shape - getting back into it could prove interesting if you glue both caps on... ;D
This is an excellent suggestion. I work in the shipping industry, believe me, there is no such thing as overpacking whatever you're shipping.