• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

wee heavey

Barrel Char Wood Products

kace069

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2004
Someone put a post up about wee heavey and i can't find it now to make a response so hopefully they will find it here.I made wee heavey once from a Muttons brand prehopped liquid extract kit. IT WAS AN IMPULSE BUY!!!! And i was not very impressed. I couldn't even call myself a brewer. It was more like making campbells soup then making beer. But anyways. I do appreciate a good wee heavey. And i believe this website can provide you with a very good extract/specialty grain recipe of wee heavey. I'm not sure if they have it but they proabably do. I have bought many beer recipie kits from them and I have been very satisfied with the beer i have brewed with their kits. Especially the belgian trippel!!!! got some in the secondary right now!!! If you are new to brewing they have easy to follow directions that anyone could follow and brew a very good batch of beer. The owners are really nice people and i always get high quality ingriedients and equipment from them. I recommend any of their beer kits even though i have only brewed a handful of what they offer. So here is the adress www.ebrew.com
I'm sure their wee heavey is much better then the muttons brand i made. Or if your ever in michigan stop by Dragonmead who brews a great wee heavey but still cannot sell any mead ;D But i can't wait for their mead :)

dogglebe

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 14, 2003
hbd.org
While OT for this group, I can't resist sharing my strong scotch ale recipe:

Here's an extract (with specialty grains) recipe that you might enjoy:

Steep the following in 1.5 gallons of 150 degree (F) water for fifteen minutes:
1 lb crystal malt
6 oz smoked malt
4 oz choclate malt
2 oz black grain

sparge with .5 gallons of 150 degree water. Add .5 gallons. Bring to a boil and remove from heat.

Add the following and stir thoroughly. Return to heat

9.9 lb light malt extract
3.3 lb wheat malt extract
4 oz. maltose dextrin
1 3/4 lb amber dme
2 1/2 oz fuggles pellets

after sixty minutes add 1/2 tspn irish moss

Let boil for ten minutes. Remove from heat

Let cool. Add to fermentor. Top off to five gallons

Add Wyeast Scotch Ale yeast (6 cup starter)

primary: 14 days (sixty degrees)
secondary: 30 days (fifty-five degrees)

Prime with 1/2 cup of honey.

Let age for while.

O.G. 1.110 F.G: 1.020

Enjoy! Or, as they say in Scotland...um...er....enjoy!

Phil

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Never had the pleasure of this type of beverage. Can someone give me a rundown on the taste, character, etc.

This has potential for an ugly party beverage!

Oskaar

dogglebe

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 14, 2003
hbd.org
Strong scotch ales (wee heavies) are beers for malt lovers. There's only enough bittering hops to keep it from being cloyingly sweet. The dominant flavors is caramel and chocolate with a little bit of smoke. With this style, you're better off burning/scorch the wort a little to get kettle carmelization; you can't duplicate this flavor with caramel malt.

Fermenting is done at low temperatures to reduce fruity esters.

Everything about this style is big: the aroma, the taste and the body. It's not one you can pound down, not just because of the alcohol, but because it'll fill you up. Carbonation is traditionally very low.

The beer will keep for a long time and improve with age like a barleywine.

Hope this helps.

Phil

R

Rurouni85Samurai

Thanks I asked a little bit back. I've been brewing mead and wines for a about 4-5 months now. I have never brewed a beer and lets just say I don't like the watery crap they call beer here in the US.

R

Rurouni85Samurai

Well I still havn't gotten around to making it yet but I noticed something. 55-60 degrees for fermentation? Even if I cranked the AC I could never get the house that cold ;D Need to take temps of my fridge on its lowest setting. Going to be tough fitting in 5 gallons into it. Think I'll be cutting it all in half to make a 2.5 gallons of it.

Derf

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 5, 2004
If you use an ale yeast from wyeast, it should stay somewhere in the 60-72 degree range. 45-60 is lager teritory.

I live in Nova Scotia, and up here I have a hard time keeping my fermentor cool enough in the summer, and almost as hard a time keeping it warm enough in the winter. Have to pick my recipes seasonally for sure. Right now I'm making a wheat beer and suposedly the yeast will be happy up to 80 degrees.

As far as mead is concerned, no one I know had ever tasted any before I started making it, so it I ferment it a little on the warm side nobody knows the difference. I try to keep it in that ale/wine range though.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns